Crash, Repair XP/BC, Parallels BC broken...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Platinum Samples, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

So I tried to run an app in my Boot Camp VM which crashed XP. This broke the Boot Camp installation and I was forced to Repair the XP installation for Boot Camp.

Now Boot Camp works fine.. but I've tried to create a new Boot Camp VM and it blue screens on starting up XP every time with mention of a possible virus.

My non-Boot Camp VM works fine.

Any ideas? Can Parallels be made more durable so a crash can't ruin the Boot Camp installation... especially since it's hard to back up a Boot Camp installation using tools like Ghost.

Thanks.

Rail

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It's actually VERY easy to back-up BootCamp... Simply image the partition!

3. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Well I actually have it backed up with Retrospect for OS X.. but since it's on an NTFS partition it can't be recovered. Which OS X tool do you suggest I use?

This still doesn't explain why Parallels no longer works even though I have a perfectly functioning Boot Camp.

Rail

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Dur! *smacks head* I use Fat32 Partitions... Which Mac OS X can read just fine... *pats disk utility* As for a tool, I would just Google around. I don't have one in mind. As I said, I use Fat32 to keep life simple.

Have you tried wiping Parallels entirely off your system and un-installing Parallels tools via Safe Mode in BootCamp, then re-installing afterwards?

Here is a link on un-installing: http://forum.parallels.com/thread1226.html

5. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Yikes... that seems like a scary process to uninstall Parallels... Perhaps they need to write an uninstaller.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

They have one, but it doesn't zap it all the way. :( I agree it would be nice to have a full one.

7. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Well using the regular Uninstaller and reinstalling hasn't fixed the problem... I guess I'll have to take a stab at doing the hard uninstall -- I just need to locate my registration info first.

Thanks.

8. kmunoz

kmunoz Junior Member

I've had exactly the same problem for about a month now. I haven't gotten a workable answer yet. The solution may ultimately be a wipe and reinstall of the Boot Camp partition. But until I have the time for that, I've just had to settle for not using Parallels at all.