Does updating require re-installing XP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Harry Binswanger, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

I'm updating from PD 5 to 7. Can I use my existing .pvm file? Do I have to re-install XP? I couldn't tell from the installation readme. In other words, how long and onerous is this PD 5 to PD 7 transition?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There's no mention of anything like that on the read me because probably no one thought anyone would ask these questions. Upgrading is simple, you don't have to re-install XP, it will recognize and use your current VMs.

3. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Great. Although there's no mention in the readme, the "flow chart" of what to do to upgrade is open to the intepretation that you have to reinstall the guest OS. "Upgrade PD" instructions don't clearly end on page 10, and page 11 is headed "Install or Import Windows," and it begins "Follow the instructions in this section to get Windows up and running on your Mac." I guess that meant ". . . if you haven't already got an already-installed Parallels Windows Virtual Machine."

4. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I've gone from version 5, to 6, to 7 so I'd say it should work. You can always back up your virtual hard disk (I often zip mine periodically and allow Time Machine to back it up) in case something does not go as planned.

Also, shut down your virtual machine, don't just pause or suspend it. I recall moving from version 5 to 6 having issues because the emulation was not shut down at the time Parallels updated.

5. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Thanks. Tech support, via Chat, just advised me to launch the VM, after installation, by finding the .PVM file and double clicking on it, rather than the regular way.

I'm at double risk here because I'm pairing the PD update with a change from Snow Leopard to Lion. Tech support guy says PD 5 won't work with Lion, but I should install Lion first, then do the PD 5 to PD 7 transition while running Lion. Makes me nervous.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Sorry, that doesn't make sense. It's an unneeded risk.

My advice, upgrade to PD7 first, use this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/111871
    Make sure everything is running fine and only then upgrade to Lion. The tech support guy is making you take an unnecessary risk, since PD7 works in Snow Leopard and Lion there's no reason not to upgrade while in Snow Leopard, I'm still running SL with PD7, that would mean I would have problems upgrading to Lion now? Heck no...

Also, if there's a problem (shouldn't be any) with opening the PD5 VM in PD7, you can always go back to PD5 if you are still in SL.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  7. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I agree with Specimen, I'd upgrade to P7 under Snow Leopard. After everything worked properly I'd update to Lion. I don't think the upgrade to Lion will cause you any problems (that is what most of us did) and this way you could play with PD5 and/or PD7 until you are satisfied that everything is working properly.

Of course make sure you have everything backed up whichever route you choose (which to be honest I seldom actually do...)

8. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

I was wondering about the risk. PD 7 works in either OS, but PD 5 doesn't work in Lion. So if I install Lion first, I have no VM until I successfully upgrade to PD 7. On the other hand, maybe upgrading to PD 7 with Lion already in place results in PD 7 being more tailored to Lion? The tech support repeatedly assured me that with Lion in place, the PD upgrade is a no-brainer and nothing could go wrong, go wrong, go wrong . . .

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Theres' nothing documented that would lead anyone to believe this behaviour. Sure, there are PD7 features that only work in Lion, but they will be visible once you upgrade to Lion. You can always reinstall PD7 after if you are unsure you are getting the full Lion experience.

Anyway I don't think there's ANY difference in the upgrade process either you are in SL or Lion.

10. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Interesting idea you have there: do it in SL then if that goes safely, try it in Lion to see if there's any different result. How to implement that idea? I guess I could take a Time Machine snapshot for the status quo now, then update PD, take another snapshot, then upgrade to Lion, take another snapshot, test things out, then revert to the first snapshot and do other other sequence. Is that feasible?

And thanks immensely for your quick and intelligent replies!

11. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Thanks, Megavolt. I'm not sure I know enough Mac to undo a PD 5 to PD 7 upgrade. I would think either TimeMachine or copying some files over from my backup. But which files (from PD 5) would make for a complete return from 7?

(Re backup: I use SuperDuper! to back up alternately to two USB external drives daily. Not being satisfied with that, I back up from "inside" the VM to two more alternate, daily USB external drives. Not being satisfied with that, I have Carbonite for the VM. Not being satisfied with that, I have weekly and monthly drives for the VM files. By nature, I'm far from a careful person. I'm a lurcher. But I've had too many experiences with lost work and inoperable systems.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Note: When I said reinstalling PD7 I mean specifically running the PD7 installer while having PD7 already installed (install on top).

13. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Aha. So it won't just say "PD 7 already installed"?

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No, it won't.

edit: No sane installer should do that, imagine the first install for some reason didn't install correctly, having that sort of check would not allow to install it again properly.
    The only time I remember seeing a message like that was when re-running a EFI and SMC firmware upgrades from Apple, which is something completely different.

15. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Yeah, no sane installer. But . . .

Hey, thanks so much for the hand-holding. I know this isn't a super-interesting topic, so I appreciate your time. And I'll come up with a super-interesting topic in the future.

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I have personally reinstalled PD7 and I can assure you it allows to install on top. Anyway, you could always uninstall and install again (uninstalling doesn't delete preferences or VMs).

17. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Okay, got it. Thanks, again.

18. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

I did what you recommended, and the install of both went three-quarters smoothly. (PD was better behaved than the Mac app store downloader--I thought it had died: there was no progress bar and no sign of life other than the little "installing" strip.)

After about 3 reboots, everything works. Uh, except one annoyance that maybe you can help with. I have two external monitors, and I am used to putting the VM across them, in Full Screen mode, reserving the Macbook Pro's screen for things Mac. In PD 7, if I go to Full Screen, the VM unaccountably jumps to the tiny Macbook screen and the Mac stuff gets put on the dual monitors. I can mostly solve this by using Modality mode, but see the Mac window bar at the top. I don't like losing those pixels (about 1/4 inch). I don't have MacLook checked. Is there anyway to get rid of that Mac title bar across the top? Or to get Full Screen assigned to the correct monitors?

Thanks.

19. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

Also, alt-Enter no longer works in PD 7.

20. Harry Binswanger

Harry Binswanger Member

In the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind." I found Virtual Machine/Configure/Options/Full Screen (and what is more awe-inspiring is that I found it in "Help," by searching for "Full Screen." In that I just unchecked a box labeled: "Use Mac OS X full screen."