OSX Lion & Parallels 7 hang on resume from sleep

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by sjanofsky, Nov 26, 2011.

1. sjanofsky

sjanofsky Bit poster

When I shut the lid of my MBA 2011 and I have a Parallels 7 VM running, when I open the lid the entire MBA locks up and doesn't complete it's resume.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Yes, I get that every once in a while. Are you by any chance running one of Nik Software's plug-ins for Aperture, Lightroom, or Photoshop on the Mac?

3. sjanofsky

sjanofsky Bit poster

No, I'm not running any plugins...

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Hmmm... Well I've had the same issue with Fusion 3 on Lion. Maybe it is something Lion specific. Would be interesting to hear from Parallels on this one.

5. dolphinhouse

dolphinhouse Bit poster

Same problem here, MBA 2011 - fails to resume from sleep is a VM is left running.

6. Alphaglider

Alphaglider Bit poster

I just installed Parallels 7 this weekend (new/full, not upgrade) on Lion on a new Macbook Air and the freeze after sleep issue immediately appeared for me. I've never experienced a resume from sleep lock up until now, which is happening happening daily. Of course I only notice it if the W7 VM session is running, but it does freeze even when if I haven't started any apps (system and backup processes excluded from that statement). I'll keep looking for a root cause, when I'm not using my computer for the reasons I actually purchased it for... like, work. Unfortunately, I really need both platforms and it's a pain to have two machines.

I've run Parallels 4, 5, & 6 on my other Macs and have similar annoying and buggy performance issues over the years that always (reluctantly) forced me to keep another Windows box on hand for work. Other than the freeze ups, Parallels 7 has been an enormous improvement in my experience, so I'm reasonably optimistic that this might be resolved.