Parallels breaks Bluetooth on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JamesN2, Nov 24, 2011.

1. JamesN2

JamesN2 Bit poster

I rarely use XP these days, only to check that a web site looks ok on Microsoft IE and to back up my Nokia to PC Suite.

However, I have found that XP/Parallels breaks the Bluetooth on my MBP. What I mean is that although Bluetooth works under Lion fine, and I can transfer pictures from my phone via it - when I start Parallels and try to use the still running bluetooth the Bluetooth ceases to function.
    When I click onto the Bluetooth sign on the Applications Shelf at the bottom of the screen it says that there no Bluetooth device on the computer!!!

The only way to re-instate it is to Re-start the computer.

The problem comes when you try to use bluetooth because you are told that certain Apple drivers are needed and that they are on the OSX installation disc. OK when I had Snow Leopard but now with downloaded Lion.....what do I do?

The message "Cannot use the connection type. Check that all the needed hardware, software and drivers are available" comes up in PC Suite when I try to check Bluetooth in Nokia Connection Manager. I have reinstalled the Parallels Tools and restarted XP and still got the same result.

Needless to say bluetooth works fine under Lion but for this process I have tried it switched off and switched on. When it is previously 'on' that is when Parallels/XP 'breaks it'.

Are the drivers on the XP disc...I think not, with Parallels or with OSX? If it is the latter then I think, then, that I am stuffed as I bought Lion as a download.

Or have you got an idea?

2. AmauryV

AmauryV Member

same problem here.
    no way to install the bluetooth drivers on XP since Lion left no install files on my HD.
    and after choosing Devices\USB\Apple USB Bluetooth Host Controller, the USB on the Mac breaks. this happens since version 6.

3. JamesN2

JamesN2 Bit poster

Like you, no files to use from a Lion 'over tha air' upgrade. Did some Internet trawling last night and found the Apple drivers as requested in the Parallels 'you need' message. Downloaded them and XP tells me that the drivers are in place. Great. So then I restart Parallels, to follow the instructions and.............you guessed it LOL
    Bluetooth still doesn't work! Admittedly, if you start Parallels with BlueTooth operational in OSX already it doesn't get broken but can't be used by XP. But if you try to start it and use it from XP, even with these drivers, it still breaks. Even OSX can't find it so have to restart OSX again.

Sorry Parallels but your product is not fit for purpose.

JimmyN2

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  4. AmauryV

AmauryV Member

i don't like not hearing from Parallels about this issue.

5. JamesN2

JamesN2 Bit poster

Neither do I. If it's a problem, why don't they own up and perhaps say that they are working on it. Honesty is alway the best policy.
    N

6. ddease2

ddease2 Bit poster

Same issue here....any update?

I went through installing the drivers from the OSX install DVD. Parallels (WinXP) will still not successfully install the drivers for Apple Bluetooth Host.

I did notice in my Control Panel (in XP) that the following are installed:

Windows Driver Package - Apple Inc. (applebt) Bluetooth (03/01/2010 3.0.0.5)
    Windows Driver Package - Apple Inc. Apple Bluetooth Enabler (06/27/2007 2.0.0.1)

Are these, perhaps, the wrong versions?

Parallels: there seems to be some confusion (above) as to whether or not you have got the default MBP drivers successfully installing in the VM under Windows XP. Is this the case? Have YOU successfully loaded the drivers and installed a BT device?

If so, please explain your installation process (in detail, with sources of the files you used).

Thank you,

DRD2