Incredibly slow application launch

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by barefootguru, Apr 18, 2007.

1. barefootguru

barefootguru Junior Member

Hi people,

My launch time for FileMaker Pro suddenly went *way* up--from 5-10 seconds to 70.

The splash screen comes up and it just sits there. There's no disk/network activity going on.

I've recently upgraded from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 and also changed some network settings. I'm wondering if FileMaker is waiting for something to timeout?

If I disable the network adaptor in the VM settings launch time returns to normal.

I've reinstalled FM but no joy.

Applications like IE, Parallels Tools, etc., start up fine.

FileMaker Pro 8.5v2 (also happens with 8 and 8.5v1), XP Pro SP2, OS X 10.4.9, Parallels 3188.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Is FM a UB? I forget, and I know to you it is probably stupid. If not, what happens if you launch it AFTER you launch another non-UB binary?

3. barefootguru

Sorry, guess it wasn't obvious: this is FileMaker inside the XP virtual machine.

4. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Why bother? Filemaker is a native Mac application. It actually originated inside Apple's Claris software division, long ago in a distant galaxy.

I haven't played with Filemaker for maybe ten years now. But I do seem to recall some issues with the client software scanning the network for servers, and having to time out if it didn't find one. Have you set it up to look for a remote server that doesn't exist?

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Do you think it might be lagging on the HD access? I bet your disk is just heavily fragmented.

6. barefootguru

Wish I didn't have to bother... I'm developing a cross-platform FileMaker app, so need to test under both Mac and Windows.

The hang is on application launch, even before the 'open file' screen, so there shouldn't be any remote servers to look for...

7. barefootguru

This PB's relatively new so shouldn't be fragmented. And as I said, there's no activity going on when it hangs for the 70 seconds--no CPU, no disc. Also turning off the virtual network adaptor fixes the launch time...

8. barefootguru

Never mind... have created a new virtual machine and FileMaker's back to normal (had to go through M$ activation, mutter mutter)