USB Issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by apscherz, Apr 17, 2007.

1. apscherz

apscherz Bit poster

ok i'm sure this has probably come up before but I need some help. I have a user that I'm migrating away from his pc and solely to his new intel mac. We run a dictation system here that requires a usb bar code scanner, usb footpedal and usb headset. I cannot get all three to work in parallels, if I try to activate more than 2 it says that all the usb ports are active and I need to disable one to let this one work. When I read on this site it says that I should be able to have up to 8 usb ports available so I am not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. The machine is a 2.66 quad core with 9 gig total ram, parallels says it's build 3188. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. apscherz

apscherz Bit poster

anyone? anyone? bueller?

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I assume Parallels tools are installed. Have you tried re-installing? Have you tried turning on USB auto-connect.

I don't think there is a Parallels limit of 2 USB devices. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

a quick search shows people who have had this problem before.. Its usually caused by a mix of USB 1 and USB 2 devices. Previous users have found connecting a USB2 hub to the mac and plugging devices into that fixes the problem. But as I say, thats nothing official. All Parallels say is you cant mix and match USB versions.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  5. apscherz

apscherz Bit poster

thanks for the advice, but yes parallels tools is installed and i've tried through a 2.0 hub but to no avail. any other ideas? I just get this error that all usb ports are in use and i have to unplug something in order to use another device

6. Christopher

Christopher Parallels Team

Bear in mind that there are still several devices not supported under current version.

7. Miriamnz

Miriamnz Bit poster

Perhaps you need another usb controller (start reading at p124 of user guide).

8. tom27

tom27 Member

Hi folks,

the point is: On exactly the same MBP the exact same dongle inserted in exactly the same USB port does no longer work ("device in use" error).

The USB device worked (!) reliably with one of the previous Parallels betas and OS X 10.4.8 but now (with the final release and OS X 10.4.9) it stops working with the known error messages.

At least some people who report USB problems, it is not about having "unsupported" devices or mixing USB 2 and 1 but most likely a problem of the recent Parallels version in combination with Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Cheers
    Tom

9. apscherz

apscherz Bit poster

that's the other thing about this issue, when I go to add new hardware device, I do not see usb controller as an option, the list comes up with all the others, just not that one. that may be part of the issue, but on three different machines i don't see that either.