Tools for BackTrack5 release next week

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JayR, May 1, 2011.

1. JayR

JayR Junior Member

Anyone know if the new version of Backtrack, version 5, set for release next week, will be supported by Parallels Tools. Seems the new version is based on Ubuntu 10.04LTS. Any speculations, or ideas?

2. JayR

JayR Junior Member

Bump .. BackTrack 5 released today

Nobody else into this? I will try to install in the next couple of days and report back...

3. cbuzzsaw

cbuzzsaw Bit poster

BackTrack5 Guest Installation

Any luck with the installation of BackTrack 5. I can get the command line version working in Parallels 6 for Mac but can't seem to get KDE or Gnome up and running. Anyone got it running?

4. BallO

BallO Hunter

I'm still using BT4 with 2.6.34. It's my primary use of DP. Maybe I'd be better off with VirtualBox?

I'm downloading BT5 KDE 64bit and will report if I get anywhere.

Also, anyone try fluxbox?

5. BallO

BallO Hunter

By the way, you can use XQuartz as your KDE front-end if you:

1) Turn on "Allow Connections from Network Clients"

2) run xhost +<your_PD_ip> on the Mac-side

3) export DISPLAY=<your_Mac_ip>:0 then launch kde with something like start_kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup

One problem I found when trying this before was a bug (presumable in XQuartz) where meta key chords didn't work. This was in 2.5.3, so I don't know if this is still an issue. If I can't get KDE running in PD I'll try it again

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/450

6. BallO

BallO Hunter

I got BT5 to install. The process is fairly obvious, except the tools which are just a pain in the ass and I'm not going to even touch until someone says Ubuntu 11.04 or Suse 11.4 works. I mean hell, I don't think the build directory parallels Tools expects exists without building the kernel first. It's a nightmare.

Anyway, just run ubiquity using xquartz then use fluxbox instead of kde (be prepared for atrocious grammar):

# apt-get install flux-for-back
    # export DISPLAY=<mac-ip>:0
    # startfluxbox

Not a fan of the interface, but everything is horribly broken until I get KDE4 running on xquartz or Parallels fixes their damned tools.

I think I'll just go back to usng BT4

7. BallO

BallO Hunter

BTW I just tried the GNOME version and X works. Of course, the tools still don't compile, but it's at least more usable than the KDE front-end.

8. BallO

BallO Hunter

You can also run gnome-panel in XQuartz, which is better than X in PD due to the lack of PD tools.

I can copy and paste in gnome-terminal quite easily, even setting command-v (meta-v) as paste. This makes using BT5 a lot more tolerable until the tools are updated.

9. Supacon

Supacon Bit poster

Before you install Parallels tools you need to create the following symlink:

root@bt:~# ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/build

After that the installation runs just fine.

10. BallO

BallO Hunter

If anyone is using the rtl8187 driver, please let me know. I find this driver to freeze up the OS when in managed mode and the adapter is unplugged.

11. Dishing Tech

Dishing Tech Junior Member

strange PT works well for me, I didn't need to do that to install mine. copy and paste, drag and drop works fine

12. Lohp75

Lohp75 Bit poster

@Supacon, thank u for that symlink. It worked perfectly on my gnome 64 bit install :).