Anybody use rtl8187?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by BallO, Dec 9, 2011.

1. BallO

BallO Hunter

I have a frustrating problem where unplugging a rtl8187 device while in managed mode causes the OS to freeze over 50% of the time.

Affects 6.x and 7.x

2. Dishing Tech

Dishing Tech Junior Member

I use an RTL8187L (could yours be the B version?), haven't had a problem getting it into monitor mode (mon0). The RTL8187L had a habit of turning itself off. Doe

I created a few script files that might help it become unstuck.

Try this also
    sudo rmmod r8187 rtl8187 mac80211
    sudo mkdir /usr/src/drivers
    cd /usr/src/drivers
    sudo unzip r8187_linux_26.1010*-intrepid*-jaunty*-patched
    cd r8187_linux_26.1010*-intrepid*-jaunty*-patched
    sudo make
    sudo make install

Updated to the latest drivers and do you have Synaptic manager installed to get your system upto date?

3. BallO

BallO Hunter

This bug has nothing to do with monitor mode. The freeze occurs when the driver is in MANAGED mode and the device is unplugged.

I have duplicated the bug using Xubuntu. I connect to a network (WEP in this case), unplug the device, and the OS freezes.

4. Dishing Tech

Dishing Tech Junior Member

Maybe if you make an executable script that kills all the processes / unload the driver? I wonder if it would freeze then. Similar thing happens in Mac OS X with me, if I connect using the wlan adapter and unplug the device I am forced to reboot. I rarely use active / managed mode in Ubuntu, use Parallels shared networking from my Mac.

5. BallO

BallO Hunter

The problem is I don't know when the device will disconnect.

Can you connect to a network and disconnect the device to see if the problem can at least be reproduced?