Pause Key signal sent to VM when switching from Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Smudge2, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

When switching from a Mac application/Finder into Parallels, it seems that Parallels is sending the Pause [aka PF1 FUNCTION (ESC+OP)] key to the Windows environment. Normally this is not a problem as most applications would ignore it but some application will pick it up and act accordingly.

This is most obviously when I use a SSH program like PuTTY or SecureCRT and the PF1 key is sent to the remote session. Depending on what I'm doing in the remote shell, this could cause just a beep, invalid characters to be sent, a help system to start up, or the running command to fail.

You can see this for yourself by downloading the Keypose program which will show you on-screen which keys have been pressed on the keyboard. Simply run it and switch from the Mac back to Windows and you will see Windows thinks the Pause/PF1 key was pressed.

This is 100% reproducible on my system if further testing is needed.

If this is an option that I've overlooked, please tell me where I can turn it off. If this is not an option, can you make it optional in the next release?

Thanks

Running:
    Mac OSX 10.6.6
    Parallels Build 6.0.11994
    Windows 7 Pro

2. Klakomatic

Klakomatic Bit poster

Same Thing for Me

I am seeing the exact same behaviour. This is very annoying for anyone developing as we have SSH sessions open all the time. This is not unique to Putty as I also tried AbsoluteSSH and am seeing the same behaviour.

Please fixed this right away. I cannot work with this bug.

Thanks.

3. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

Klakomatic: Can you post the details of your system like OSX version, Windows version, and Parallels version? A few months back, this problem just randomly went away. Unfortunately I don't recall what changed but I know I was still using Parallels 6.0.11994 and Windows 7. Perhaps a Mac update or a Windows update resolved it.

Currently running OSX 10.6.8, Windows 7 Pro SP2 (and latest updates), Parallels 6.0.12090.

4. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

Actually, I take back my last statement. It is still happening. My own SSH sessions don't show it because I must have changed some setting in the SSH program so that they are not sent to the remote side. I noticed it happening again because I have a WebEx session to a customer's system, with an SSH program running on their side, and the Pause command is being sent over there.

Can someone from Parallels support at least acknowledge this issue and say if it can be fixed or not? (please say it can)

Thanks

5. HiroyukiK

HiroyukiK Bit poster

I also have the same issue with Extreme Gammon software which has the function of "Minimize in Task bar" for the pause key. So I have reported the problem to Parallels support but no reply.

I use OS X Lion, XP SP3, Parallels 6.0.12094.
    Thanks

6. GGOSSELIN

GGOSSELIN Bit poster

Ditto

I'm having this same exact problem. Mac OS X 10.7.2, Windows XP Home SP 3, Parallels 6.0.12106.
    Is there any way to suppress sending those ^[OP characters?

7. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

Very sorry. I forgot to reply back to this post.

I filed a bug report and it was finally fixed in version 7. I never saw it fixed in the 6.x line so to resolve your issue, you will need to upgrade to v7. I don't recall exactly which v7 revision did it but now it sends a Caps Lock instead of the Pause key. I haven't had any problems since this change.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. GGOSSELIN

GGOSSELIN Bit poster

Thank you for your quick response Smudge2. After upgrading, when you use it with Putty do you have to immediately undo the caps lock then? If so I'm a little weary about spending $50 to upgrade. That seems more like replacing one bug with another rather than a fix. Ultimately the pause operation hasn't really harmed anything yet, it's just super annoying.

9. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

Nope, no problems with the Caps Lock. I think it is sending 2 of them very quickly so it ends up being the proper environment. The apps I use that show the CAPS status (SecureCRT, Word, etc) don't even register the Caps Lock being sent/changed.

10. GGOSSELIN

GGOSSELIN Bit poster

That's fantastic, I appreciate the reply!

11. 4itsG

4itsG Bit poster

Hi,

in our company all users have this problem.
    We are using Parallels 11 and different Windows Client (8.1 and 10).
    This bug is really annoying. Any hints how to get rid of this?

Thanks a lot

12. 4itsG

4itsG Bit poster