bootcamp or virtual instance

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by speedlab, Apr 20, 2007.

1. speedlab

speedlab Bit poster

I currently have my XP installed as a VM instance.

For those using Bootcamp, had you previously run XP from a VM instance? Was it worth re-installing and setting up Bootcamp? Better or same performance?

It seems like a bit of work to switch to bootcamp, if there is no performance increase I'll probably stick with my vm instance.

2. johnnykrisma

johnnykrisma Junior Member

I would say there's no real reason to use a Bootcamp partition unless you have a need or desire to actually use Bootcamp for whatever reason. I don't think there's any performance difference at all, it's more convenience.

John

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I like both... It's added stability.

4. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

If you are satisfied with Parallels - their is no reason to go to Boot Camp.
    In fact, I just removed BC from my MBP and now running Parallels exclusively from an external drive.

And should I need Parallels "on the road", I need only move the files to the MBP.

ajm

5. vioccc

vioccc Member

I started with Bootcamp then ditched Bootcamp and used a virtual machine file instead. I haven't noticed any significant performance difference between running off a Bootcamp partition and a VM file.

The reason why I gave up on Bootcamp is that it's far too much hassle to use with Parallels. You have to enter your admin password everytime you launch Parallels, you can't supsend and resume your virtual machine, you have to shutdown Windows everytime you want to close Parallels (even if you just want to change a setting in your virtual machine config) and then wait for ages for Windows to boot and log in whenever you want to use it again. On top of that, when using Bootcamp you can't easily back up and restore your virtual machine or resize the Windows partition.

Unless you need to use a software that requires 3D graphics support or to use some USB device that doesn't work for some reason in Parallels, I can't think of any reason to use a Bootcamp partition. Using a virtual machine file is far easier and more flexible.

6. Art743

Art743 Member

I am new to Mac, and I have experimented with both extensively (instal, reinstall, different drive configurations, etc) on my Mac Pro. With the difference the Intel processor makes for Parallels (it is not at all like Parallels on a non-intel Mac), I find that it is more convenient than Boot Camp.

I settled on using 2 drives in a striped RAID for my system and I also had various problems with Boot Camp installs in RAID. So that is why I experimented so much (meaning I went back and forth with NON-Raid with Boot Camp, Non -Raid with Parallels, and Raid with Parallels).

For my use (primatily Photographic stuff (moving to Mac, of course) and office, no Games, I am strongly in favor of Parallels. Subjectively, XP is like it was on my HP Workstation, either on a single drive, or with RAID.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007