Seeking virus product recommendation

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RWfromCA, Dec 12, 2011.

1. RWfromCA

RWfromCA Bit poster

What would be a good virus protection software for Mac OS 10.6 & Parallels with Windows 7 combination?

I assume I will need one for the Mac & one for Windows.

Thank you...

2. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

Eset nod32 is the best I have found

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I don't see the point of the concept of 'combination' here as the Anti-virus software on OSX and Windows won't communicate with each other in anyway, except if you get a discount if you are buying it.

If you are building a Windows 7 VM you should put an AV in Windows, but that fact is not a reason in and off itself to put one on OSX.

My recommendation, Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows, it's free, has similar scores to all other major antivirus in virus detection tests and it's not a resource hog: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

For the Mac, Sophos: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

4. strells

strells Product Expert

Ugh, MS actually makes anti-virus software? That's scary, to say the least.

I use AVG. It's free, unobtrusive, and works great.

Steve

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You don't trust them to make an AV but you use their OS. :)

They bought an AV company. What makes other companies more credible at making an AV than MS? Let's be rational here, we are technical minded people, we deal with facts. MS has everything to gain from having a good free AV, and it's been tested by independent studies with good marks.

Anyway, what matters is the what the tests like ICSA Labs, added to that the unobtrusive GUI and the fact that you don't even notice it's there, which is what an AV should be like, only pop up when there's a problem.

I have used AVG and I don't find it unobstrusive like you say, and regularly displays ads for the pay version (this doesn't happen in MS Security Essentials).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. siju A

siju A Banned

I think Panda Cloud Antivirus will be better for you.
    [​IMG]

7. CÃœNEYTO

CÃœNEYTO Member

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

9. zhiweiz

zhiweiz Bit poster

NOD32 version 5 also has problem with Parallels 7 .

10. YanaYana

YanaYana

you may refer to the KB 112773 (above) for more information