Cut/Copy/paste is hopeless

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BobTheDog, Dec 14, 2011.

1. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

Hi Guys,

I am getting to the end of my tether with parallels.

Cut/Copy/paste between the guest and host is just hopeless, randomly hangs parallels or just stops working.

I have re-installed tools, still the same problem.

I have tried the hack where you turn it off and then back on, same problems.

I have totally uninstalled parallels, reinstalled and get the same problem.

It is the same on my laptop as well as my desktop, and the same with whatever guest vm I am using.

The last release it the worst yet!

Does it work for anyone?

Cheers

Andy

2. Stefan P

Stefan P Member

Actually it works for me. I did not get it managed to use the same short-cuts, but I can use copy/paste between OS X Lion and Windows 7 and vice-versa.

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Works fine for me. Can you explain exactly the process that you follow and what exactly happens?

Steve

4. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, looks like it may not be a lost cause then!

I would contact support but I always find that doesn't help much.

This is how it goes.

When I start my host machine and then start a parallels VM cut and paste works.

After a random amount of time, could be an hour, could be 5 hours when you then paste from the VM to a mac app then both parallels and the app you are pasteing into hang with the beach ball. It does't matter what the mac app is.

At this point if you force kill parallels then the mac app starts responding again.

Now when you start parallels again the VM basically appears instantly and now cut/paste between VM and host stops working completely. In some cases cut/paste within the vm also stops working.

The only way to get it back after this is to shutdown the VM, kill parallels, reboot the machine and start parallels and the vm again.

When I have looked at the spin dump output it looks like a pthread lock deadly embrace is causing the problem.

I have totally re-installed parallels and still get the same problem which would make you think it is something to do with the VM, but I see this problem in the two main VMs I use.

I also had this problem in version 6.

These vas have been converted from VMWare Fusion vas originally, maybe this is where the problems originate from?

Who knows, it is driving me mad though. Enough to maybe move back to fusion :(

Cheers

Andy