Ubuntu 7.04 won't start

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jsk, Apr 19, 2007.

1. jsk

jsk Bit poster

Hi guru's: I downloaded the new release of Ubuntu 7.04 i386 ISO today. I verified the download was good with an MD5 check, so no problems there. When creating the new VM for Ubuntu, I just used the "typical" selected Linux, then Other 2.6 Kernel taking defaults along the way.

When I point to the ISO and start, it gives me a window, a boot prompt. I hit enter, get a couple of lines of text then a quick "RSDP not found" message, and it goes black, never to boot further.

I have Fedora working just fine, but I'd like to play with Ubuntu. Does anyone have any idea what this message of RSDP not found means and more importantly, how to fix whatever the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. dustbuster

dustbuster Bit poster

I get the same problem.

3. mmika

mmika Pro

4. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

I installed it via fusion Beta 3 yesterday - works flawless.

Fusion actually creates the tools for feisty in front of you!

5. jsk

jsk Bit poster

I'm sorry -- what is fusion? Is it a Parallels program or some open source program or what? How does one obtain it? Does it cost? Sorry -- I'm just not familiar with what it is or what it does. Thanks in advance.

Steve

6. Paul Annesley

Paul Annesley Junior Member

Fusion is the new (still beta) VMWare competitor to Parallels Desktop.
    It is not open-source, vmware betas are normally time limited, and the final non-beta version will not be free.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  7. Paul Annesley

Paul Annesley Junior Member

8. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

But neither is parallels free? - I don't understand what point your trying to make.

Fusion beta is a MUCH better solution for LinuxVM.

Why bodge together a work-around when you could just use fusion and have it work properly,first time with no messing about.

9. cp1160

cp1160 Bit poster

Ubuntu 7.04 Install - Another Idea or Approach

I just wanted to offer a solution I used to install the latest version of Ubuntu.

First, I download (using a Bitorrent Client) the excellent image file for Ubuntu 6.x found in the following location on these forums:

Sticky: Parallels Images ready to download!
    There is a 6.0x image that installs very easily into Parallels and is configured for most of the work I need.

Next, I just updated it using the built in manager which updated Ubuntu to 7.04. Took a while but far less work than everyone seems to be expending doing these installs. I'm typing this message in from Firefox running in Ubuntu 7.04. I'm not very technical when it comes to installing operating systems but I figured this out easily.

The only issue I've run across is a message about Restricted Drivers Manager. There are two items now listed that did not appear before:

VMWare Virtual Machine Monitor
    VMWare Virtual Networking Driver

I also lost my internet connectivity when the system restarted. I easily restablished it using the Network Connection icon. My MacBook Pro is wireless only but I selected Wired Connection for the Ubuntu running in Parallels and immediately connected.

Just an idea...please don't take me out for gross stupidity and laziness since I owe this solution to the hard work of the person who created the image in the first place (a huge thanks!!).

10. Resuna

Resuna Member

Group reply

Because we've already bought Parallels, maybe? (sheesh)

Thanks much, mate, did the job. Who came up with the idea of trying Solaris emulation?

[PS: boy, is the install slowwwwwww...]

Last edited: May 3, 2007