Can't boot XP from Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wwjd79, Apr 16, 2007.

1. wwjd79

wwjd79 Bit poster

I'm running the 3188 Build.

I've installed parallel and I'm using bootcamp as the vm for XP.
    I'm able to get in to XP via parallel fine but when I reboot to go in with bootcamp, I get the following message.

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware... etc..

I have been shutting XP down properly within parallels (via start - shutdown) and I tried rebooting as well many times... I'm still getting this message.

Any Ideas? Also, it looks like I have the parallel tools installed too..

thanks.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What happens if you zap Parallels tools?

3. wwjd79

wwjd79 Bit poster

haven't tried it yet... how do i delete parallel tools?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Go into Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
    Then remove Parallels Tools.

5. wwjd79

wwjd79 Bit poster

I actually just tried that right after your post. It didn't work. I can't seem to figure out what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

6. drval

drval Pro

Which "it" didn't work? Could you not uninstall Parallels Tools or, having uninstalled and then reinstalled Parallels Tools, do you still have the same original problem?

7. wwjd79

wwjd79 Bit poster

sorry... I did uninstall parallel tools and it still didn't reboot correctly to BC. Still gave me the same error saying that there's something wrong with the disk.

8. drval

drval Pro

What exact error did you get?

9. wwjd79

wwjd79 Bit poster

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware... etc..

10. drval

drval Pro

The EXACT error message is generally rather critical.

11. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

When booting via BC, are you selecting the Windows Configuration or are you allowing the computer to default into the Parallels configuration.

If the later, you must use the arrow key and select the Windows configuration.

It should be the second selection.

ajm

12. wwjd79

wwjd79 Bit poster

how do I do that? it doesn't give me a chance to select anything. it just goes directly to that screen...

13. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

When you say "that screen" I have no idea what you are reffering to.

However, as soon as you select RUN (green arrow) hold the "fn" key and "F8" key.
    I'm not about to teach the operation of Windows, but basically
    Start Windows in Safe Mode
    Select Windows Configuration
    Select Administrator login

In the control panels go to System select hardware profiles and edit the Parallels for a 10 to 15 second pause.

Reboot and you will now have time to select the appropriate configuration.

ajm

14. hpoliset

hpoliset Bit poster

I had the same problem as well and came to know from some forums that the error happens only when an External HD (may be containing a windows partition) is connected while booting parallels. The solution is to disconnect the external HD before bootting windows from Parallels and reconnecting the HD again if you really need it.

15. Art743

Art743 Member

16. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

I seriously doubt that!

I've been running Parallels off an external drive from version 1970 with no ill effects!
    Including BC and Parallels with a USB HD constantly attached.

Besides, the problem is when he tries to Boot into XP via BC, not via Parallels.

The BC side is selecting the Parallels configuration by default. The Boot.ini file needs to be tweaked to allow him to select the Windows configuration.

ajm