Mouselook problems solved in PD7?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by VikramP, Sep 2, 2011.

1. VikramP

VikramP Junior Member

Version 6 of Parallels has well-known problems with mouselook in 3D games. Does anyone know if these issues have been resolved in PD7?

Thanks!

2. VikramP

VikramP Junior Member

nope

Unfortunately, it looks like the mouselook problem *hasn't* been fixed in PD7. I tried several 3D games and no matter what combination of SmartMouse settings and Windows mouse settings I tried, I still got the crazy spinning when I tried to mouselook.

3. could you pls make a problem report, post its number here and name games you are experiencing problems with

4. VikramP

VikramP Junior Member

5. VikramP

VikramP Junior Member

Problem report #10049017

Denis, you've posted in some of the other threads that reported this problem in the past. Can you provide any follow-up on this issue based on those earlier incidents?

Thanks.

6. Small introduction:
    Parallels uses absolute and relative mouse. Absolute means that we use the cursor provided to us by MacOS and position it to the same place in guest OS where the cursor should be. All events are sent using exact coordinates of event. In relative mode (original mouse behavior) the guest cursor is used. Windows position the cursor where it needs to and we are sending cursor position deltas.
    In order to make games working, which do not like absolute mouse, we switch from mode to mode and this is called by us "Smart Mouse". If guest cursor is off - all moves becomes relative after a while. If guest cursor is on - all moves are absolute. There is a small transition timeout between modes around 100 ms.

OK. I have installed Dragon Age 1.04 and see the following:
    - with Smart Mouse off I do not see mouse cursor in the game and this is known problem. Dragon Age uses Windows cursor with 3D enabled and this is known emulation problem. We are working on it, but it is difficult and please do not expect fast results
    - with Smart Mouse on I do see spinning in the game. It looks like game does not understand absolute mouse coordinates and this is expected to me behavior
    - with Smart Mouse AUTO the behavior is close to working one. I press right mouse button and the first move or a couple of mouse comes with spinning. Unfortunately we can not fix this easily, the game does not turn off the cursor on mouse press but do this on the first moving event, i.e. absolute one and perform this move as it can with jump.

Do you observe same results or not? May be I have missed something and you really have different problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
  7. VikramP

VikramP Junior Member

Thanks for the detailed response! What you're describing is exactly what I am seeing.

Can you explain how "Optimize modifier keys for games" affects this (if at all)?

Are there any workarounds for showing the mouse cursor when Smart Mouse is off? Because mouse look does work fine with Smart Mouse off, but not only can you not see the cursor, you can't click on anything either.

In the Smart Mouse auto case, could you maybe have a setting for games that just ignores mouse movement events when the right-mouse-button is down AND the guest cursor is still on? There might be a little lag between when you move the mouse and when the camera starts moving, then, but at least it won't spin crazily.

8. Optimized modifier keys for games does not affect cursor behavior at all.

For Right Click - the situation is not that good. We can not predict what will be broken with this kludge :(

9. Clay Maeckel

Clay Maeckel Bit poster

Running into the same problem with Star Wars The Old Republic. Only real problem with the game is when trying to move the camera around with the left button held down. It gets into that same spinning mode mentioned above. Holding the right button down to both change the camera and facing or both buttons for camera/facing/moving works if you are very careful how much you move the mouse. There are also a few graphic defects but those are easily fixed by downgrading the shading the game does.

10. RandomMarius

RandomMarius Bit poster

My solution

I use a R.A.T. 5 mouse with a great DPI, so the following worked for me to fix the Mac OS X broken acceleration curve:

Download and install:

http://triq.net/articles/mouse-acceleration-download

Then set your acceleration to 0.0

(which makes it very slow in Mac, but great for gaming.)

Worked for me.. YMMV

11. OderWat

OderWat Bit poster

I have this problem in a lot of games. Making most of them basically unplayable...

Latest ones I discovered was: Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity and Starwars Online(!) ... I think it was the same in RIFT, Guild Wars and Global Agenda. I don't have them currently installed. So I do not now if the workaround mentioned below does work for them too.

Here is an ugly(?) workaround:

Use second mouse (!) and plug it into an USB Port. Then enable that Mouse using the USB Devices Menu of Parallels 7. Windows will install driver software for the new mouse detected.

After this you have 2 working mouses in Windows. And the USB connected one seems to just work as expected for mouselook and scrollweel funktions!

Besides of this irritating problem I found that a lot of games work pretty well with my iMac i7 with Parallels 7 booting my Bootcamp partition based Windows 7 64Bit.

@Dennis: Wouldn't it be possible to switch the original mac mouse if attached to the usb port to the virtual machine as USB mouse.. OR having some intermediate driver which allows to have the mouse fast switched between both, the mac and windows in that "USB" mode.

12. ilans333

ilans333 Bit poster

Big Thanks to OderWat. That did the trick...a bit cloogey, but a fix non-the-less.

13. decknish

decknish Bit poster

I tried the method OderWat suggested, all this time was make the mouse cursor invisible! Am i doing something wrong here?

14. OderWat

OderWat Bit poster

If the Mouse is not visible that will not change adding an USB mouse and is a different problem. There was another tool mentioned to make the mouse visible by using an additional program. I did not have that problem though.. with the games I tried.

15. decknish

decknish Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

16. decknish

decknish Bit poster

The cursor is visible, until I go to devices > usb and select my usb mouse, then it the cursor disappears, but I can still click things on the desktop and in game, just with no pointer

17. OderWat

OderWat Bit poster

Did you try different Smart Mouse settings? I had the mouse disappear when I changed that. But not when I added an USB mouse or changed my normal mouse to "USB" mode and used my trackpad for controlling the mac while I was playing.

What game btw?

18. decknish

decknish Bit poster

My smart mouse is On. I have a bluetooth mouse for Imac and a wireless Usb microsoft mouse. I'm assuming i wouldnt be able to turn my normal mouse to "usb" mode?

19. decknish

decknish Bit poster

star wars the old rebublic