Bluetooth setup with Lion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AmauryV, Nov 24, 2011.

1. AmauryV

AmauryV Member

hello all.
    i upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion via the App Store application. hence, i don't have an Apple MacOS X install DVD.
    the instructions for setting up bluetooth on Parallels require that one inserts this DVD in order to accomplish the task.
    what to do if one doesn't have this DVD?

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Where did you find the instructions for setting up Bluetooth in Parallels?

The Mac OS X Install DVD is an image file called "InstallESD.dmg" inside the very large (almost 4GB) "Install Mac OS X Lion" application package. Right click the application package and select "Show Package Contents".

3. AmauryV

AmauryV Member

the instructions i mentioned are on Paralleks KB.

i don't have the Mac OS X Install DVD. i upgraded to Lion from the App Store application, which left no "InstallESD.dmg" or any other files on my hard drive after the install.

4. AmauryV

AmauryV Member

is bluetooth on the Win VM considered superfluous by Parallels?

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

What is the url of the kb item (just to make sure we're looking at the same instructions)? Is it http://kb.parallels.com/en/5962 ?

Is the app store application greater than 3 GB? Did you look inside the app store application by right clicking it and selecting "Show Package Contents"?

Bluetooth on the Win VM is not considered superfluous by Parallels if Parallels took the time to make instructions for setting it up. The kb article doesn't mention Parallels Desktop 7 though. Maybe it hasn't been updated yet.

The instructions in the kb want you to insert the DVD to get the Boot Camp drivers for the bluetooth device. You can use the old Snow Leopard Install DVD that came with your Mac if you still have that.

For Lion, the Boot Camp 4.0 drivers are downloadable - you use the Boot Camp Assistant to download the Windows support software.
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf
    The Windows support software should include a driver for bluetooth.

6. Stilgar

Stilgar Bit poster

7. AmauryV

AmauryV Member

does it work with Win XP?

8. Anilshar3

Anilshar3 Bit poster

Yes, it works with XP.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013