Put a VM Windows back to BootCamp

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CédricS, Dec 15, 2011.

1. CédricS

CédricS Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop 7 with Windows XP. I've discovered that a particular application won't work properly in this VM. I would like to clone my VM to a BootCamp Partition or install it to a PC computer, so I won't have to reinstall the all XP environment. How can I do that. Should I use a Windows cloner or what is the best move to perform this kind of migration?

Thanks for your help?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It can be tricky, you'll have to use a standard cloning procedure using one of the many available cloners, and possible, since there's a significant hardware change, you'll have to do a Windows Repair Install (using the Windows CD) on the new machine.

Backup you VM first and don't forget to uninstall Parallels Tools before doing the migration/cloning!

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

I think you may try to use some third-party software for this - Parallels Does not support this functionality.

4. CédricS

CédricS Bit poster

And what would these third-party software would be?
    Thanks for your help.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. CédricS

CédricS Bit poster

Thanks for your answer.
    I've checked with Acronis and they say that they don't support their products on a Parallels's environment. However, I've noticed that I can purchase "Acronis True Image Home" via the Parallels's store. So, will this product be able to clone my Parallels's Windows Disk and would I be able then to clone it onto another PC / or to a BootCamp Partition?

7. RahulR

RahulR Bit poster

Apart from Acronis,is there any other third party software available,then please do let me know what are those

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I never talked to Acronis nor did I had to, I just used it and it worked, there's no rocket science here if you know what you are doing, it's all relatively transparent.

I'm saying this because no one will say they support it under Parallels (or VMWare, or VirtualBox...), what you're asking for is out of radar for these companies, it's a very particular request.

I've done this type of things myself out of necessity and because I can, I've done it the hard way doing bit by bit cloning using g4u (free but for VERY experienced users), which creates an unbootable clone and requires the so called 'Repair Install' to make it work (because of hardware differences). And I've used Acronis True Image (with plus pack) to make complete backups of real PCs and to test these backups I've created full functional VMs from the backups, very easily, so I'm very certain it works the other way to, simply because the hardware communication it requires is exactly the same, so if it works in one way it will work the other.
    The thing that is particular to Acronis and why I suggested it, is because it has the ability to clone to dissimilar hardware, and this is a very special feature that will spare you hours, even if you know what you're doing.

I'm just sharing my experience, and I don't think you'll find much people that have done this. So, Acronis TI+pack is the only utility I can recommend that will likely be able to do this cloning (dissimilar hardware), I can google for others and so can you but I haven't tested them.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Likely it will be able to, but you will also need the Plus Pack. Also, transferring a Windows machine to a different hardware will trigger Windows Activation, be sure your license supports this (if it is a OEM license it won't, sorry, it's MS policy, unless you buy a new license and replace the license key).

10. CédricS

CédricS Bit poster

OK.
    You have said earlier in this thread that :
    Should I uninstall Parallels Tools when using Acronis's stuff?

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

EDIT: Deleted, scroll down to the post with big bold letters to know why.

12. CédricS

CédricS Bit poster

Thank you so much.
    I have a couple of questions, though.

Will I be able to boot from this CD on a BootCamp partition?

I guess I get this GUI when I boot from the Live CD image.

Should I buy these products via the Parallels's store or via the Acronis's Store?

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

EDIT: AFTER I WROTE THESE INSTRUCTIONS I FOUND THIS ARTICLE: http://kb.acronis.com/content/1746
    IT CLEARLY STATES IT DOESN'T RUN UNDER MAC HARDWARE (DO TO EFI), MY INSTRUCTIONS WERE THEN ONLY VALID FOR NON MAC HARDWARE TARGET MACHINE.

Content Deleted

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert