Parallels Error - Virtualization Support is Disabled on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kristianmartin, Nov 29, 2011.

1. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

I am getting the following messages when trying to run a virtual machine which has been running fine for days:

1. Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac.
    2. Your virtual machine will use only 1 CPU when running.
    3. Unable to load the Parallels driver. Restart your Mac and try again.

After restarting, the same messages appear. I can only fix this by uninstalling, restarting, and then re-installing Parallels. I am running version 6.0.12106 (latest according to the "check for updates" feature).

Can anyone shed some light on this problem I am having?

2. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

Same issue.

The latest update seems to have broken Parallels.

SOS. Anyone?

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

What Mac are you using? How much Ram do you have on it?

4. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

In my organization, we have a mix of MacPro1,1 and MacPro3,1 machines. All have 6GB of RAM or greater. I just had another machine do this on 6.0.12106.

5. Trainingmagic

Trainingmagic Bit poster

Same error

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a MacBook Pro. My parallels was working on Tuesday and this error began today. My virtual machines are mission critical and there appears to be no solution!

Does anyone have an idea?

Error: "Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac."

This appears when I try to open both a Windows VM and a Linux VM.

6. dannyIT

dannyIT Bit poster

Virrtualization Support is Disabled on Mac

Virtualization support is disabled on your Mac
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support a small number of Mac Pro computers running Mac OS X 10.5.8. Ever since the 6.0.12106 build was installed, the users are receiving the following message:

Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac. For optimal performance, please enable hardware virtualization suport in your Mac's firmware.

When they click, OK they receive another message:

Unable to load Parallels driver. Please restart your Mac and try again.

Unfortunately, restarting the Mac does not solve the issue. I have tried reinstalling Parallels using the same build, and that solves the problem for a day or two but, the issue always comes back. Shutting down the Mac and then turning it back works on occasion but, I do not see that as being a viable long term solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Re-install Parallels Desktop. Download the installer if you don't have it (check my signature), and run it.

8. dannyIT

dannyIT Bit poster

Thanks for replying. I have re-installed Parallels Desktop several times, and it fixes the issue for one to two days but, the problem comes back. It started after I installed build 6.0.12106.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

[1] Make sure you have the installer (.dmg) for the latest version of PDM 6, download from the links in my signature if you don't have it.

[2] Run Permissions Repair from the Disk Utility.app.

[3] Open the PDM 6 .dmg from step [1] and run the uninstaller, it will not delete your VMs (or settings, unless you specifically allow it to via a check box).

[4] Now reinstall PDM6 again (from step [1]).

10. Trilian

Trilian Bit poster

I made it exact like you wrote above. The problem comes back.
    and I made more:
    Uninstall Parallels Desktop completely, follow the article : http://kb.parallels.com/9087
    I download the latest build of PD6 [I got spec. link from support]
    I install PD using this procedure.
    ... but problem comes back after severals days.

I found some thred here. I try it, but in my case, I stuck on point 13. and nothing happens. Some days ago I found new rEFIt-0.14 software and after relunch to EFI boot menu I was closer, but... after execute the file call: vmx-var-set.efi they tell me: "image type is not supported by this X64 shell".
    Did I made something wrong?, dengerous? ;), or I'm close to finish line?

Paralells, still not working.

oh, btw. even running on fresh "new" user on the system get the same result - no result :(

----
    I have:
    - Mac Pro3,1, 10.5.8 (Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz)
    - Parallels 6.0.12106 (Revision 692267; September 7, 2011)
    - daily unix maintenance is keeping by Macaroni (Atomicbird)

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That's an extremely old thread (2006), don't follow it, it wasn't made for PDM6, and all those EFI changes are a bit icky, even the fact of using such an old version of rEFIt is a no no on new macs, I'm not even sure about the damage this might have caused.

Please, always look at the date a thread is posted when looking for past solutions.

As for your problem I suggest you report it directly to Parallels Support by making a support request.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  12. Trilian

Trilian Bit poster

I just report to them. We see.
    Thx for such quick reply (but I'm afraid, your words about this problem, sounds... serious). But we see.

13. dannyIT

dannyIT Bit poster

Virtualization Support is Disabled

Specimen,

I followed your steps. It's been almost a week. So far, things have been working well and the message has not appeared. I'll let you know if it comes back. Thanks for your help on this issue.

14. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Specimen,

Thanks for providing some tips. Unfortunately permissions repair did not work for me. Must be something with the older Macs and Leopard, or some other combination of software in our office.

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Must be the remains of an old version of Parallels.

16. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Yes, perhaps. What is interesting is that I even tried repairing permissions before and after uninstalling and reinstalling, and also removed the application settings as well. When I run the virtual machine it works for current boot multiple times. After a system shutdown and startup, Parallels begins returning virtualization error. This doesn't happen with version 6 build 12094, only 12106.

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

What's the oldest Parallels version this computer has had?

18. dannyIT

dannyIT Bit poster

Still happening....

Virtualization Support is disabled. I tried reformatting the drive, and reinstalling Mac OS 10.5.8. I reinstalled Parallels Desktop version 6 build 6.0.12106.692267. The message still appears.

It does not appear that Parallels support is in a rush to address this issue. Also, I cannot find build 12094 (english version) to download. Any ideas where I can download that version?

What a hassle this has become.

19. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The public download links are available in my signature.

20. dannyIT

dannyIT Bit poster

Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, build 12094 is available for every language EXCEPT english.