Minimize Parallels = pause?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rteichman, Apr 23, 2007.

1. rteichman

rteichman Junior Member

When I minimize the Parallels VM window does it pause the VM? If not is there a way to set it that way? VPC used to have this option and it was very useful for the way I use the product.

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

No, Parallels doesn't behave this way and there is no option in the GUI to configure it. We didn't consider it important someday.
    Could you please provide us some more info on your use-case so we could probably consider if it is really that useful ?

3. vioccc

vioccc Member

I actually had this exact same idea yesterday: it'd be great if Parallels could automatically pause when it's minimized in the Dock and "un-pause" when the window is restored. Even if you're running XP, don't have any applications running under Windows and have disabled USB and sound input, Parallels still uses 10% of CPU. If you're using USB and/or have applications running under Windows, this can quickly climb to 30-40% of CPU which is wasted when Windows is minimized in the Dock, sometimes causing the fans to kick in and probably decreasing the battery autonomy. With this auto-pause feature, you'd be able to have Windows always ready in your Dock but not using any CPU until you actually need to use it. Of course, you can already do that now by manually pausing and un-pausing your VM but it's a pain.

I vote for this feature. Plus it should be fairly straightforward to implement. Make it an option of course, some might not want to have their VM paused when it's in the Dock.

4. David5000

David5000 Pro

I am not against having this feature but can't you do something similar by having the VM suspend when you quit Parallels? If Parallels is in the Dock, clicking on it and then clicking on the green arrow is pretty fast (though probably not as fast as what you are suggesting).

David

5. na9d

na9d Hunter

Just hit the pause button then send it to the dock. It's what I do nearly every day...

6. rteichman

rteichman Junior Member

When you are going in and out of the VM this is a pain. I run on a laptop and basically shrink the VM when I am done with my "windows work", and reopen it when I need to do stuff in it again. For example, I will be using MS Project to figure out a plan, or modify someone else's plan. Then I will minimize the VM and start working in Word and Excel on the Mac side. I might need some more info from Project so I open the window again. and so on. I need to minimize it since its a laptop and limited screen space. I want it paused since my Mac apps take up a lot of memory/cpu cycles, and when I am not in windows I don't need anything running.

7. rteichman

rteichman Junior Member

I did that in response to another poster. I have to add that it sure does not seem like something difficult to add. Just a config option that does a pause before a minimize if the option is checked. The functionality is all there it just needs some UI work to tie it together... How about another button that does Pause and Minimize at the same time?