build 3188 idling with 40% CPU usage

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jrietschel, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jrietschel

jrietschel Bit poster

Hi, i upgraded a couple of days ago from my (older but stable) parallels build to 3188.

Running win2k in it - everything looks fine, installed latest parallels tools etc.
    Now even with no application running, noting special loaded, win2k standard, there is about 40% CPU usage and huge memory use by Parallels:

win2k reports back (task manager) 97meg mem useage, 0% CPU (idle process at 99%), however, Activity monitor shows 37-40% CPU useage, 352MB real memory, 2.2GB Virtual Mem.

Any ideas ?

The computer is a recent MacBook with 2GB of RAM, latest OS updates, Core 2 Duo ..

2. jrietschel

jrietschel Bit poster

now: feature request

Ok, found out it is the USB ..
    Disabling that brings CPU load down to 12%.

So, is there any way to get the USB1.1 device back which did not use up that many resources ? It would be highly appreciated. I use the USB eventually to connect to development tools and serial adapters, "connect" manually and disconnect too. That all worked fine with the 1970 build (i think it was), without much CPU load.

Now the new USB2.0 device eats up, apparently, about 30% CPU power just for idling ..

SO this would be great if one could enable/disable this CPU hog without rebooting.

Thanks,

Johannes

3. wiraone

wiraone Bit poster

My MBP screaming like mad this morning .. and I had a USB->Serial adaptor enabled .. and guess what .. I'm getting the exact same problem as yours. Take out the USB->Serial adaptor and the MBP goes silent a bit.. Hmm.. have no idea if this has to do with USB->Serial adaptor or generally USB 2.0 codes problem.