WinXP keyboard issue in fullscreen mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mejacobs, Apr 28, 2006.

1. mejacobs

mejacobs Junior Member

I'm running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 as a guest OS using beta 5 on a MacBook Pro. A keyboard mapping issue arises when I switch into fullscreen mode and then use cmd-H to hide the guest OS and work in Mac OS. It appears that, on returning to the guest OS, the "ctrl" key is always active. For example, when I type "f" on returning to Windows XP, the find command is activated. Similarly, pressing "r" brings up the "run" command in the start menu. The problem does not appear when I first enter into fullscreen mode. I've tested that a couple of times. It's only after I hide the guest OS using cmd-H and then return. Is this a bug or is there a workaround that I'm missing?

2. markup

markup Junior Member

I've had that issue too, mejacobs. I have tried pressing and holding the CRTL key down, and twice it came back to normal state. It is difficult to reproduce, though.

3. CDN

CDN Junior Member

I have this problem, but not involving fullscreen (but may be related to hiding?)

I usually find it when I'm typing an email in Outlook and suddenly Windows programs such as Windows Explorer and the Run dialog start launching , depending what letters I type. This is a serious problem, have to stop working and restart to fix (it seems).

4. nhand42

nhand42 Member

I've had the same problem when using Virtue to switch desktops between fullscreen Parallels and another OS X desktop. The hotkey combination is ctrl-shift-leftarrow. When flicking back to Parallels the ctrl and shift keys are depressed, even though physically they're released. Pressing and releasing the keys restores them to the correct state.

I seem to recall this was a bug in the early development of QEMU and was solved by probing the ctrl/shift/alt/meta keys actual state when regaining focus and sending "ghost" events to the guest OS to push it into the correct state.

5. CDN

CDN Junior Member

so for a MacBookPro, is there a key combination that will fix this when it occurs?
    (and is Parallels working on a fix? where do we submit bug reports... just here?)

6. mejacobs

mejacobs Junior Member

CDN-you're correct, the problem appears to be related to hiding, not to fullscreen. I can recreate the same problem in windowed mode by hiding the guest OS using command-H. It just so happened that the only time I had used command-H was when running the guest OS in fullscreen mode, so I assumed (incorrectly, it now seems) that it was related.