Shutdown Support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by rayclark, Apr 28, 2006.

1. rayclark

rayclark Bit poster

I would love to see some automated shutdown support. When the VM is being terminated by windows (or Linux I suppose) it would be great to be able to specify how to stop a VM. I would love to put my VM into standby mode each time windows tells it to shutdown...

Thanks
    Ray

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

When you shutdown a guest OS, Parallels is in a standby mode. If you have multiple desktops, away it goes until you click on the desktop that has Parallels.

3. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

*** Bzzt. *** /f/ail at intarnet

That's not what he's asking (at least not how I read it)... he's asking for a way to set the default shutdown behavior of the open VM's when shutting down the HOST OS.

Let's say you have three guest operating systems open, and you choose to shutdown the HOST, it would be nice to be able to have Parallels put all the guest operating systems into standby or hibernate before it closes itself, instead of doing a full shutdown on them.

4. rayclark

rayclark Bit poster

Yep! You got it. I want the option to put my guests to sleep when the host OS is being shutdown, the userid being logged off, etc.

5. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Gosh, Vmware doesn't do that after 10 years on the market - guess is isn't too much to ask of Parallels......

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for suggesting - we will think about such feature for the next versions.

7. rayclark

rayclark Bit poster

Suspend seems slow

The suspend (and resume) a guest functions seem to be quite slow to me. Is there something tweakable to help or could I wish it was faster?

Thanks

8. milesce

milesce Member

Not sure about VMWare Workstation, but GSX server certainly does. I run a Windows 2003 server with multiple virtual machines providing different services to my small business. When the W2k3 box is shutting down, it nicely shuts down all the guest operating systems, then brings them back up on reboot.

This would be handy to have in parralels, but not critical for me, since I don't use my mac as a server machine (at least not right now).