Shared networking not obtaining an IP address

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nbirnbaum, Apr 23, 2007.

1. nbirnbaum

nbirnbaum Junior Member

Running Parallels build 3188 on OS 10.4.9 on a MacBook Pro. Shared networking was working just great... but suddently stopped obtaining an address.

Bridged networking using the Default adapter works fine, but we really need to troubleshooting Shared networking.

Help!

Thanks,
    noam

2. buldir

buldir Bit poster

Same problem here. I wonder if it had to do with the latest batch of Mac updates.

3. jhoughtaling

jhoughtaling Bit poster

Yup, same here. I just ran the last Apple security update. Bet that's it.

4. mja

mja Bit poster

Same here again. Mbp running build 3188. It would drop the IP during shared and default
    bridged connection. It was working fine under build 3186, but the OSX update happened
    about the same time as build 3188. I tried repairing the connection a few times, but it would not reconnect.

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

Do the Parallels interfaces in Sysprefs > Network in OSX show as having an IP address ?

If not, uninstall Parallels using the uninstaller in the DMG file, reboot and reinstall it.. then go back to Sysprefs > Network and make sure the adapters are there with an IP address.

6. jhoughtaling

jhoughtaling Bit poster

I got Parallels NAT to go again by rebuilding permissions on the Mac and restarting. I had to restart the Ubuntu machine I've got to get its networking going. The XP machine recognized the networking change with no problem.

Give it a try.

7. rdean

rdean Member

I am new to the Mac, how dow you rebuild permissions? It sounds eaiser then re-installing parallels.

Also, what is Parallels response to this? I believe, like the others, it had to do with Apple's latest security update. I just added those Apple updates to day and this is when my "shared networking" stopped working.

Thanks,
    Rich

8. rdean

rdean Member

Posted e-mail request to Parallels

I have filed an e-mail to Parallels' tech help asking for the official solutions. When I get an answer I will post it here. I suspect others are having the same problem, if anyone else gets an official response please post it here for the rest of us. In the mean time I will look into some of the solutions posted here. Though I am planning on holding off on the uninstall of the product idea, just because I am hoping for an easier fix.

9. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

jhoughtaling is correct about repairing the disk permissions.
    Long story short, if you make your Mac work for a long periods of time without restarting the Mac OS and only suspending/resuming it, it causes some minor glitches to appear in the system, including system files access permissions. In conjunction with system update it can lead to very unexpected system behavior. Unfortunately there are no fail-proof OSes in the world and Mac OS X is no exception.
    But Apple gave us quite useful tool for repairing this stuff: open "Macintosh HD" - "Applications" - "Utilities" - "Disk Utility" - select your Mac boot volume in the list and click "Repair Disk Permissions". Generally it's also a good idea to uninstall Parallels Deskop after that, restart the Mac and install it again to make sure Parallels drivers will work properly.

10. jbaker10

jbaker10 Bit poster

Same here... after the update, my non-Bootcamp VM doesn't get network connectivity. I tried the permission repair, and restarted Parallels, but no go....

Would rather not mess with uninstalling the whole application... any other ideas?

Jay

11. rdean

rdean Member

Jay,

I followed the instructions above (rebuilding permissions) and then re-started parallels like you and I had no luck. :( But then I shut down my Mac and then powered it back up and that did the trick. I did not have to re-load Parallels. Thankfully.

Thanks for the quick reply Spectre!

-Rich

12. jbaker10

jbaker10 Bit poster

rdean...

Bingo! Simply rebooting the Mac after the permission fix did the trick. Should have thought of that... thanks for the clue.

Jay

13. dolchan

dolchan Bit poster

no network connection at all

I have been having network problem since this morning in my work. None of network options is working. I tried the permission repair, uninstall Parallels, reboot and reinstall, still doesn't work. Any idea?

My system is MBP 15" (First Gen) with 2GB memory and WinXP SP2 with 768MB and 25GB allocated on Parallels 2.5 3188 build.

Seungchan,