Using Parallels with Apple 30 Inch Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rschaller, Apr 24, 2007.

1. rschaller

rschaller Bit poster

I recently bought the 30 inch Apple Cinema display and I've noticed that I am encountering more error messages when starting Parallels VM implementation of Windows XP.

I will either get the dreaded "Unable to open disk" or a low virtual memory error. I've rarely encountered these errors when running off the display of my laptop which is a Mac Book Pro 17 inch w/ 2.1 GHz processor using OS 10.4.9 Also, I am using Parallels to run my boot camp partition as a VM.

I recently had to rebuild my Windows installation when the VM did not shut down gracefully, so whenever I see the "unable to open disk" message I get very nervous, however, in this situation, I can reboot using boot camp and my Windows installation runs fine.

Any ideas as to why I am frequently seeing these error messages when I switch back and forth between the laptop screen and the 30 inch Cinema display?

Thanks,

rschaller

2. haralds

haralds Member

Did you increase the video ram allocation in the machine configuration to 32MB?

3. rschaller

rschaller Bit poster

Thanks for the tip, my original setting was 16 MB and I tried increasing it to the max setting of 32 MB but still I get the low memory message when tryiing to start the VM in the Cinema display.

I am certain that it has something to do with the video. I did the following experiment:

(1) with the Apple Cinema disconnected, I was successful in starting up the VM implementation of Windows XP. I then connected the Cinema display and the VM operated as normal.

(2)In the Cinema display, I shut down the VM and then tried to restart it from the Cinema display and the low memory message comes up each time.

rschaller

4. rschaller

rschaller Bit poster

Here is another thing that I noticed after an unsuccessful attempt to start Parallels VM of Windows XP on the Cinema Display.

After I disconnected the display from the DVI port, I launched Parallels to start XP and everything started OK but I noticed that the display settings came up different from my original settings. What I got when started up after an unsuccessful attempt with the Cinema display is 640x48 and 8-bit color.

This seems odd.

RS