help with mlandel's HD resizing hint, please?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by peterwor, Apr 28, 2006.

1. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

mlandel posted a GREAT tip for resizing a FAT32 HD partition using freeware tools BUT I need some more help.

The tip was this...
    ----------------------------------------------
    1) download the following freeware (google to find):
    g4u - this is ghost for unix and will copy any FAT32 drive (OS neutral)
    presizer - this will will resize the copied drive/partition to use the added space
    2) create a new drive/image that is the size that you want
    3) add the new drive/image to your VM or create a new VM that has both drives/images
    4) boot the g4u cd image to copy the small drive/image to the large drive/image.
    This takes a while.
    5) boot from the presizer floppy image and run presizer on the larger drive/image. This adds the unused space to the parition, making it a copy of the smaller drive, only bigger.
    6) arvhive the small .hdd file for safety and transition to the new larger .hdd. I change the names to transisition as I like my primary drive image file to have the same name as the VM.
    ----------------------------------------------

Thanks for this tip but I'm a little 'slow' on this topic.
    In step 4 you say "boot the g4u cd image to copy the small drive/image to the large drive/image"

Could you elaboarte? What do you mean "boot the g4u image"?
    When I tell PW to mount this g4u.iso image at startup on the CD/DVD device and use explorer to open the drive I only see 2 non executable files. a .cat and . .fs file.
    The stupid question is what are these files? What am I actually supposed to do here, obviously I misunderstood the direction?

I guess the same question applies to the presizer image in step 5. I have this file that is a zip file called presz143.zip but it contains a windows executable, how do I mount or boot from this zip file or did I get the wrong file?

If someone could perhaps elaboarte on this great hint I'd really appreciate it.

TIA,
    Peter

2. tj4shee

tj4shee Member

Great tip..... I am executing it right now...

By "booting the g4u cd image" they are telling you to assign the g4u.iso to your cd drive... I think you were doing that... but you need to do it before booting the VM and be sure the checkboxes for enabled and connect at startup.

To actually boot off of the cd image, you need to Edit the VM, click on the "Options" and on the "Booting Options" make sure that you select the "CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy" option...

3. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Help with PRESIZER

This may be my issue. Where can I get teh presizer floppy disk image? All I can find ia the actual executable and that ain't working.

TIA,
    Peter

4. markup

markup Junior Member

I created a new floppy image in the VM profile, then when into Windows to copy the downloaded presizer files onto the floppy image.

There's likely a faster way to do it, but that's how a geek-wannabe like me did it.

Now if I could just figure out how to mount the new drive image as another drive letter (I think this is usually done through BIOS tools, right?) then I'll be ready to increase it's partition size.

5. markup

markup Junior Member

Here's the link for the presize tool.

And here's the link for g4u

6. markup

markup Junior Member

To get my new virtual drive to show up, I had to move it to IDE 0:1, before the CD-ROM. Now it shows up as D:.