Blackbery 4.2 SP1 and 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dt600, Apr 24, 2007.

1. dt600

dt600 Bit poster

I'm running the most recent of both the Blackberry Desktop Software and Parallels, but can not get them to work. The blackberry manager recognizes that a blackberry is connected, but the desktop manager freezes as soon as it realizes there is a blackberry there.

I tried loading the apple drivers from bootcamp, and made no difference.

Anyone who actually got this to work have an thoughts.

2. Sir Atilla

Sir Atilla Junior Member

Blackberry Desktop 4.2 SP1 and Sync

I had the exact same problem when attempting to sync via a USB cable. I now sync via BlueTooth using the Apple Bootcamp BT drivers. It works fine. Often the first time I start Blackberry Desktop it crashes but launching it again works fine.

Carlin Smith

3. dt600

dt600 Bit poster

Cant use bluetooth

Unfortunately I can't sync with bluetooth cause I have a 8703c and the device claims not to have a sync profile.

4. tcd2004

tcd2004 Bit poster

how did you go about doing that?

5. dt600

dt600 Bit poster

How did I go about doing which part?

6. tcd2004

tcd2004 Bit poster

Sorry, it was meant as a question to the post by Sir Atilla.

7. Sir Atilla

Sir Atilla Junior Member

Blackberry Desktop 4.2 SP1 and Sync

ok, first question related to 8703c and no sync profile.

Here are the steps that I completed to get this working correctly. I extracted the Apple drivers from the bootcamp.dmg file. (There are other posts around the net that explain this procedure - it can be done without installing bootcamp.) I then installed the BT drivers out of that bundle which are in a sep installation file. In Parallels via the USB status bar at the bottom of the screen I connected the VM to the "Apple Wireless" hardware - ie BT. This took care of installing the drivers for the newly found hardware. The next step is to pair the blackberry with the parallels Virtual Machine. This is a pretty standard deal that I don't think needs additional explanation.

At this point start the blackberry desktop software. If you have issues with the desktop software crashing on launch then temporarily disconnect the BT hardware from the VM. Under the options menu choose "Connection Settings." Click the checkbox to enable BT and click the button to configure bluetooth support. In the dialog box that appears choose "add" and you should be able to select your newly paired blackberry. Close that dialog and under the connection drop down list choose Bluetooth. Hit ok to accept these settings and you should be in good shape.

From a reliability standpoint I normally start blackberry desktop before connecting the BT hardware to the VM. It seems to work better for me that way but I have not drawn conclusions as to why. I have been using this setup for a few months now.

Hope this helps,
    Carlin Smith

8. ggb1945

ggb1945 Bit poster

I tried all of the suggestions on Parallel's and Blackberry forums to get my BB to synch with Parallels. Finally I found the perfect solution and it worked immediately - dump Parallels, load FUSION as your VM program and everything works without any fancy tricks or computer expertise. It's also a much better program all around and it's free. What a shame that this annoying problem couldn't be fixed by Parallels after so many months of complaining by its customers