Pause and Suspend buttons

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sbrindalona, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sbrindalona

sbrindalona Bit poster

Is there a reason there's a Pause button, but that you instead have to go to the Action drop-down menu to Suspend a VM? I also notice that in the documentation, the Suspend icon is actually the Pause button image. They're similar...but not the same...

2. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

Pause temporarily stops the VM from running. Parallels itself remains running and the paused VM continues to consume the memory which was in use prior to pausing.

Suspend saves a snapshot of the running VM's memory to disk and shuts down Parallels, freeing up all resources which were in use.

3. sbrindalona

sbrindalona Bit poster

Thanks, but I understand the functions of both. I am wondering why there is only a Pause button and not a Suspend button, and why they are not identified correctly in the documentation.

4. vioccc

vioccc Member

I suppose that it's because closing the Parallels window effectively suspends your VM as expected. No need for an extra toolbar button that would do the exact same thing. As for the documentation, I don't know, I didn't even know that there was a documentation. I suppose that it's a documentation bug.