What is Parallels up to?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by websyndicate, Apr 25, 2007.

1. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

I wonder what the parallels team is up to now. Its been a while since a Beta has been pushed out to us. Cant wait til the next release to see what is in store for us. Any clues anybody

2. kylemacr

kylemacr Bit poster

I was wondering the exact same thing. I haven't even seen a peep out of them!

3. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I suppose they're working on the first beta of Parallels 3.0. Which is supposed to have 3D and 64-bite support.

However don't be surprised if that beta is a long ways off yet. A lot of people wanted Parallels to continue improving their build 3188 in their version of 2.5 still.

4. wesley

wesley Pro

I'm guessing that they're furiously trying to get the 3D support stable, since that feature was Fusion's latest punch.

5. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

From Leo Laporte Himself

I know that Leo Laporte from Twit Network did speak with the developers from VMware and they said that they cant emulate video cars only like a generic video card but not anything crazy its just can be done. You can see him talk about it on this link below he actually show off parallels for the show.
    http://zdpub.vo.llnwd.net/o2/dltv/episode154/dl.tv.154.mov

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Good luck Parallels.

7. austin

austin Member

I don't know that they need it - the stuff with Boot Camp and then Coherence mode...wow.

Somebody knows what they are doing video wise, based on Coherence alone.

That said, I'm rather hoping less effort is being spent on 64-bit and more on other things (3D, etc.). I'm sure there are people who can justify 64-bit guest OSes, but for many of us, 32-bit guest OSes are all we'll ever need (especially for switchers from Windows who just need one or two apps).

Hopefully they'll work on OpenGL 3D and not DirectX (although I want DirectX at some point, don't get me wrong).

8. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

My bet is you won't see another beta from them unless you join the beta test team. They may possibly release an RC candidate for public testing but I'd bet against that, too.

So far they've implemented nearly every process improvement I have desired so I'll probably buy the next release.

11. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

12. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

most forums members are usually the early adopters we are the beta testers.

13. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Who is "we"?

14. constant

constant Forum Maven

Most froums members.

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Are you aware of a beta program currently in progress?

16. constant

constant Forum Maven

No I'm not.

Parallels really seem to strugle with the corporate management side of things. One would think that SWSoft would be making sure all is in it's proper place.

The Parallels situation says a lot more about SWSoft than it does about Parallels.

17. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I guess my point is and has been that if you have not joined the Beta Team here: http://www.parallels.com/en/support/beta-testing then you can't consider yourself a beta tester any longer and may be why you don't have any beta version to test.

18. hoju

hoju Member

"may be"? Good grief that is lame.

Is there any reason to go through the headache of filling out yet another Beta registration form? Is there actually a new Beta with something worth testing?

They used to just post pre-release versions here in the forum. Smells like corporate takeover mess making to me.

19. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

actually huju i don't think it is lame whatsoever, nor a "corporate takeover." It's more like parallels finally organizing a proper beta testing program, exactly as many people in this forum have been screaming for them to do for months.

It is true, there are many beta testers hanging around in this forum. There's also a lot of people that are just looking for support for their purchased product. The forum is a free-for-all right now and that's not really the best way to test software. It's also not been fair to the people who just want support.

Also - headache of filling out a form to be a beta tester..? Give me a break! It took like 1 minute to fill out. If you can't be bothered to fill out the form, then that probably indicates that you won't be that helpful in reporting problems. Because beta testing is all about filling out report tickets and stuff like that.

20. constant

constant Forum Maven

I have completed that process, a long time ago, but I heard nothing, so about 3 weeks ago, I tried it again. I got errors and figured it was because I had already completed it.

I have not received any beta versions to test. Now this could be as a result of one of two reasons. 1) There is no beta version available for Workstation, which I indicated was what I am using and willing to test. Or 2) Parallels don't like the critical nature of some of my posts, and don't want me included.

Are you aware of a beta program currently in progess?