Automatic detection of network availability

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tvamvarg, Apr 26, 2007.

1. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Junior Member

When I have XP in 3188 running (on 10.4.9 on a MBP15), and I unplug the ethernet cable, I would like XP to detect that there is no network and make the applications adjust accordingly (e.g. Outlook hangs for some time while trying to find the non-existent network instead of getting a message from the OS that it is unavailable).

Can I do anything to accomplish this, or is it a limitation in Parallels?

Thanks!

Sry if this has been asked/answered before, I tried searching for quite some time without finding anything...

2. hhwong

hhwong Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about -- XP does do that for me when I unplug my ethernet -- look for the icon on the trey to see that it isn't connected. What you're running into is badly coded network integration in Microsoft Outlook, which Parallels can't do anything about.

3. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

same for me.. windows notifies me the moment my cable has fallen out on my connection at work (i broke the clip on the cable months ago , and quite frankly am too lazy to change it! ) lol

4. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Junior Member

OK thanks that tells me there is something amiss in my installation, my icon does not appear when the cable is unplugged (and frankly it's not only Outlook that runs into problems because of this).
    Hmm, is it (virtual) NIC drivers that should be updated? Any ideas before I go testing?

5. hhwong

hhwong Member

What networking are you using? I'm going to take a guess and say that you're probably using Shared Networking, right? In that case, given that Parallels is running the DHCP server for Windows XP, there's nothing that can be done.

What you can do is change to Bridged Networking, and you'll get the behavior you want.