Error, missing ntoskrnl.exe out of no where

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by innerfire, Dec 12, 2006.

1. innerfire

innerfire Bit poster

I've been running the beta version of Parallels very successfully, and out of no where on a random startup I got the error, "ntoskrnl.exe missing" Now, parallels, and this install of XP were working. I did nothing out of the ordinary, including turning off the system by shutting down in the XP windows rather than a hard shut down. Help, I am not an XP guru, and have no idea how to replace this file, or why this error came up in the first place. I've searched the net, and found various answers, but have no idea how to address them in paralells. Can someone provide me with a step by step direction? Please? Oh, and thank you ahead of time!

2. innerfire

innerfire Bit poster

I found a good article here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm, but could not bring XP back online. Is there a parallels issue? Anyone have any ideas?

3. sharkez

sharkez Member

Not sure if this is the same but I just had a Mac OS crash while starting up a boot camp partition that had worked fine. I had just restarted the Mac Os after booting into BC and attempting to join (unsuccessfully) my work wireless network. Went back into Mac OS and started parallels bootcamp partition, put in one password but it crashed on a SBOD before asking a second time. Upon reboot to Mac OS and re-attempt to run the bootcamp partition in parallels I am asked only once for my password then I get an error in the windows boot window:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    --------

Seems to be the same issue. Am I dead?

4. scthkr

scthkr Bit poster

Having the same issue? Does anyone in tech support read these?

5. pfloydn

pfloydn Member

Just got hit with it as well

A 'repair' of the XP installation doesn't take care of the problem. I'm terribly confused. It's almost like the virual hdd is corrupted somehow - though not so badly as to keep the os from installing.

I just did a full re-install of the XP installation into this HDD as well and I get the same error when the os actually tries to boot from hd...

I'd love to get my taxes off this HDD, that's all I really need. I've got a backup of the installation that I'm happy to go back to once I get them off... Any suggestions from Parallel's folks? This came out of nowhere. I use the VM daily. No problems yesterday, everything shut down normally. Today - this...

-Pete pfloydn@gmail.com

6. warnergt

warnergt Member

Very interesting

This is very interesting. I suspect it is a Parallels problem. Take a look at my recent post regarding Repeated Windows Update Requests. That file is involved with that problem, too:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread10934.html

7. warnergt

warnergt Member