Is "allocate virtual machine memory" problem fixed in release 3188?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mgarbowski, Apr 28, 2007.

1. mgarbowski

mgarbowski Bit poster

I am currently running build 1970, with Windows XP Home installed as the OS. When I previously tried updating to build 3170, to take advantage of Coherence and other new features, I started getting the "unable to allocate virtual machine memory" error on a regular basis, about once a week. I checked the forum, and tried all the suggested fixes, tweaking memory allocations and such. None of them worked, and the problem kept reoccurring. So I went back to build 1970. That works perfectly on my system, which is an iMac running OS X v 10.4.9, with intel 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, and 1GB DDR2 SDRAM.

I now have nasty malware on my VM, and so, for reasons unrelated to Parallels, I am going to rebuild my VM from scratch. Since I'm going through all that work, I would like to upgrade to the latest version of Parallels, if it is stable. Can anybody confirm whether the problems I encountered in build 3170 have been fixed in 3188? Otherwise I'm sticking to 1970.

Thanks in advance.

2. pan

pan Junior Member

I only have anecdotal information with version 3188. I have been using it with three different copies of the VM. Each has different uses and provide backup in case of a malware problem. I only run one at a time.

What I found is the 3188 requires a reboot of my computer about once a week because of "unable to allocate virtual machine memory". Whether it is an issue with 3188 or another application not releasing memory I don't know. I am running a MacPro with 6GB Ram and Parallels is working on a 750GB disk with about 500GB of free space.

3. mgarbowski

mgarbowski Bit poster

Pan,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it is still an issue, although you have a slightly less severe case than I had. When I got the error message about allocating virtual memory, a reboot would not fix it. Neither would re-installing Parallels, which is another suggested fix I found in some threads. The only thing that worked for me would be to clone the VM. For some reason, that allowed me to run the cloned VM, even though the clone was, apparently by definition, a purported exact duplicate of the original VM that still would not run.

Unless somebody can offer better fixes that work in 3188 (as I previously said, I tried different memory allocations and virtual drive sizes), that can keep the error from reappearing, I'll probably stick with build 1970. If anybody has more info, please weigh in.
    Thanks.
    mg

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Other common issues are disk permissions getting corrupted (use Disk Utility to repair permissions) or your caches needing to get cleaned out (use a tool like Onyx). Also, sometimes moving the RAM way down, booting then moving it back up after repairing disk permissions and cleaning your system up can help.

5. mgarbowski

mgarbowski Bit poster

Eru,
    Thank you for the tips. If the problem arsies again I'll give them a shot. I appreciate all of the input and advice.

Mark