IE7 crashes constantly on WinXP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by opus_az, Apr 26, 2007.

1. opus_az

opus_az Member

Hi...

Anyone else having trouble with IE7 crashing constantly on a WinXP-Pro virtual machine? IE7 dies when clicking hyperlinks. The computer has all the latest versions and updates for OS X, Parallels, WinXP-Pro, and IE7. Parallels Tools is installed.

This is on a MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM. I configured the WinXP virtual machine for 768MB. I also tried changing the network emulation from 'shared' to 'bridged'. Nothing helped (well, increasing the RAM let IE7 crash faster :)).

Firefox and Opera are fine on the WinXP.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

I'm using the same setup as you are.
    The only time I had a similar problem is when Google Desktop got installed (by accident. I have to watch now when installing other programs that I uncheck that Google junk). I uninstalled GD and the problem went away. Also the other browsers worked just fine. Uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 didn't cause the problem to go away either.

3. opus_az

opus_az Member

Good to know. Thanks!

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

We have google desktop and IE7 on some VMs and it works without a hitch.

5. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

Maybe I had an earlier version of Google Desktop. I didn't check to see what version it was but it was about a month ago.

6. budjames

budjames Junior Member

I'm running IE 7.0 on in a WinXP Pro SP2 VM and it crashes on occasion. Parallels suddenly quits as if it was never open, no error messages when it occurs or after I restart Windows. Strange.

Today it crashed when running Quicken 2007 Premier. This time it corrupted my Quicken data file. Fortunately, I just backed it up yesterday. Now I will back up each time I use it because it's critical financial data.

I've email Parallels tech support for this issue, but I have not yet received a response.

Bud

7. alaistair

alaistair Bit poster

IE7 Crashing Parallels build 3188

I'm having the same problems, when using IE7 sometimes parallels just quits completely, almost seems to be when I try to do something else in IE7 before the page I am on hasn't finished loading....

Is there a later version of Parallels out there? I am using build 3188

Thanks,

Al

8. alaistair

alaistair Bit poster

It seems to happen when I have a combination of Visual Studio .Net 2003 and IE7 loaded, seems to be happening more today than yesterday but is making using parallels for anything important impossible to use, back to using my xp laptop for now then

9. alaistair

alaistair Bit poster

ok I have removed a couple of recent windows updates to see if it sorts it out:
    KB927891 & KB930916

i'll let you know later today whether I have more crashes

Al

10. Ankou

Ankou Guest

opus_az, to fix this problem try to open Tools menu->Internet options in IE7 window (or Start menu->Control Panel->Internet options tab in Windows). Then please open Security tab->Custom Level button and in this list please disable Active scripting

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  11. blackcrayon

blackcrayon Bit poster

This prevents any javascripts from running though right? We have the same problem with IE 6 and our financial system application, where every other thing you click is a javascript of some kind... If i try this fix i can't even enter our financial app :)

The probelm we're seeing is the same, you click on something in the financial app (not always the same thing, havent detected a pattern yet) and it quits out of Parallels completely. So, are you saying that there is an issue with IE 7 (and perhaps IE 6?) where running scripts can cause the entire parallels to quit? Is there any fix in the works for this?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  12. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

This problem is more a IE7 problem than Parallels, i.e. these crashes also may happen on the real PC Windows installation. So it's quite hard to tell if we'll be able to fix it from Parallels side :) I'm not sure if disabling Active Scripting will prevent you from using your financial application, it's better try and see :)

13. blackcrayon

blackcrayon Bit poster

Ahh yes, I see now that the original poster was talking about IE7 itself crashing. It's just that someone else in the thread mentioned that their whole VM was going down while running IE7 (there are also a couple of other rare, but existing, posts which seem to say the same thing, that the parallels application itself quits while using IE).

I spoke with parallels support and they suggested trying bridged ethernet, so I have one of the affected users trying that now so we can see how it goes. If it still happens i'll forward the crash log to support.

14. alaistair

alaistair Bit poster

still having the same problem with parallels completely crashing out, i am using bridged ethernet (always have) and it still happens...

15. alaistair

alaistair Bit poster

16. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven