Boot Camp Lock-up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Swift2001, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Swift2001

Swift2001 Member

I use, as my main windows install, my Boot Camp volume. It worked splendidly in both. But recently, my copy of XP works as before when booting up into the Boot Camp partition, but when I try to load it into my virtual HD, it boots to approximately when the speaker appears in the tool bar thingie. Then it locks up. I can't click, I can't do anything. I can only quit Parallels and start over.

Obviously, something is installed in my Windows XP that is loading at startup and freezes Parallels solid while Boot Camp works as before. How can I locate the problem? Is MSConfig the way to go?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

BootCamp lock-up? Your virtual HD? So do you have Parallels installed using a .hdd file or BootCamp? It is ambiguous... What works and what doesn't? I'm completely confused.

3. Swift2001

Swift2001 Member

Whoops

I should have been more careful. I use my Boot Camp of Windows XP in Parallels. So, when I boot up in Windows, everything is fine. When I boot up in OS X and start Parallels, XP (using the Boot Camp volume) starts up, gets to the desktop, and then freezes just after I see the sound icon in the tray, but before I see the Apple keyboard/mouse drivers icon. In other words, booting up in XP in BootCamp? Fine. Starting the same copy of XP from Parallels, not good. Everything in the guest OS freezes up, and I can only quit Parallels to get out of the freeze.

Something is stopping the Parallels version of my XP from continuing to boot, or indeed, from operating at all. How can I find out what the conflict is?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... Have you tried going in via Safe Mode?