BLUETOOTH and USB problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by AMAC, Jun 18, 2006.

1. bfleming

bfleming Bit poster

New Parallels Build 3188 Solves Problem

Try downloading build 3188, released Mar. 7, 2007. This seems to have solved my USB connectivity issues.

2. macymouse

macymouse Junior Member

I'm having problems connecting ANY usb devices......... specifically a headset with a microphone......... can anyone tell me how to get it to work through VM -XP? I use this headset everyday to talk wtih someone.....

I don't want to have to revert to bootcamp and uninstall parallels.....

Please help??

I've activated the option to AutoConnect USB devices but it doesn't seem to be working...

3. starkruzr

starkruzr Bit poster

Hi,

I am having this same problem with a Cingular 8525 smartphone. The thing is, when I go into Devices -> USB and connect the "Generic RNDIS" device, in the VM it WORKS -- you can see it connecting to ActiveSync, then it syncs the device and works fine as long as you don't press OK on the error message. Of course, as long as the error message is up, you cannot interact with the virtual machine.

This is ENORMOUSLY frustrating. What do I have to unload in OSX in order for this to work correctly?

Thanks.

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

do a kextstat > /tmp/before.txt then plug the device in, wait a moment or two and do a kextstat > /tmp/after.txt

then do : diff /tmp/before.txt /tmp/after.txt

any differences are modules you can try unloading using kextunload then attach to parallels

5. starkruzr

starkruzr Bit poster

No differences at all.

Next? :)

6. tom27

tom27 Member

Time for an update on USB issues!

Hi all, hi Parallels-Team,

I really think it´s about time for an update regarding the numerous USB problems.

In several threads and e-mail contact with Paralells support, I have pointed out that a lot of people have problems using USB devices, getting "device already in use" errors.

None of these questions have been sufficiently adressed unfortunately, although this forums is named "Parallels Support Forum".

Personally, I cannot use Paralles since many weeks now due to this problem (my software requires a dongle which is no longer recognized). I have hinted to support that it "may" be related with OS X 10.4.9 but ... who knows.

From my point of view, Parallels should adress this issue and at least provide a timeframe (or say that they are actually working to solve it). Silence is not the best way of communicating with customers.

Thanks
    Tom

7. Tom Ironcast

Tom Ironcast Guest

Tom27
    Some USB devices (Can't give you the list unfortunately) are not yet compatible with current 3188 build.
    But you may try this:
    Stop your VM,
    go to it's configuration,
    Select USB,
    Turn autoconnect off,
    Run your VM,
    Insert USB device,
    Go to Devices tab,
    Activate needed USB device by clicking on it in device list.

or
    Just unmount your USB device from mac and try to connect it in PD.
    Trick is - Mac may take the control over the USB device first, preventing VM to get access to it.

8. starkruzr

starkruzr Bit poster

Yes, this is precisely the problem. How do you get OS X to release control of the USB device?

9. Tom Ironcast

Tom Ironcast Guest

Unmount it from OS X - that should allow Parallels to obtain access.

10. TORON

TORON Bit poster

Same problem with USB devices here also.

Do a search on the net and you will find its a wide spread problem and not an isolated case. Does not matter if your on Mac side release the device, it can not be used in Parallels period.

Its time to address the problem PD

:mad:

11. tom27

tom27 Member

Dear Tom,

first of all, I really appreciate your answer here! Thanks for that.

Second, I cannot unmount the device, because it does not appear mounted on OS X. It´s a Windows dongle which isn´t recognized by Mac OS X.

What I really do not understand (and I have posted this several times to Parallels support):

Exactly the same dongle has *worked* (!) with a previous Parallels build and OS X 10.4.8.

Since upgrading Parallels to the latest release and OS X to 10.4.9, there is no way that the USB device is recognized. I even have made screenshots and short video clips during the time, I could work with Parallels and the dongle.

The fact that it does no longer work IMO indicates a problem with OS X 10.4.9 and Parallels but *not* with the USB device itself.

kind regards
    Thomas

12. dbbrow2

dbbrow2 Bit poster

Looking through the latest on the forum here to see what's happening with bluetooth now that I've passed through the Genius Bar of the local Apple store to get my bluetooth going again. I saw that it 'failed' again after coming home from the Apple store and starting Parallels, something that wasn't done there. If I keep Parallels stopped, bluetooth, and my ability to connect it to my Treo 650 and on out via a GPRS connection to the 'Net when there's no WiFi around, all works fine. As soon as I start Parallels it kills my bluetooth and the f-ing thing (the Parallels Win XP VM) thinks its found new hardware. Like the other people on here, all my problems started around the end of March, the 31st to be exact, when it started acting flaky and sputtering to death, and I just left it until today when the whole mess has become clear.
    I am like the others on here as I have build 3188 and OSX V10.4.9, on a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM.

It would be nice if Apple or Parallels fixed the problem as I changed no hardware in this, only did the recommended software upgrades by both companies, and this is the problem I'm currently faced with.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  13. ggb1945

ggb1945 Bit poster

I tried all of the suggestions on Parallel's and Blackberry forums to get my BB to synch with Parallels. Finally I found the perfect solution and it worked immediately - dump Parallels, load FUSION as your VM program and everything works without any fancy tricks or computer expertise. It's also a much better program all around and it's free. What a shame that this annoying problem couldn't be fixed by Parallels after so many months of complaining by its customers