Trouble installing Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by georgemoore13, Jul 10, 2006.

1. georgemoore13

georgemoore13 Junior Member

ok, So I set up the new VM and everything, and I downloaded the x86 desktop version of ubuntu. I mount the iso from the desktop, and the boot screen comes up. From there everything loads correctly except the hardware drivers. After it says "loading hardware drivers" it says failed. Then it loads the default desktop. Once the desktop loads I get the error for "Power Management". It says 'This program cannot start until you start the dbus system service. It is strongly recommended you restart your computer after starting messagebus." From there, trying to install ubuntu goes fine until it it starts checking the file system at about 15%. Then it freezes.

Anyone know how to solves these problems?

2. georgemoore13

Hello?

Anyone, please...?

3. garrettmurray

garrettmurray Bit poster

i'm having the EXACT same problem--help!

4. BrentB

BrentB Member

I used the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS DVD, Parallels set to "Other 2.6 linux kernel", 1GB ram (I have 2GB), and didn't have a problem installing from the LiveDVD environment. Might be something different about the "Desktop" CD that causes problems?

5. georgemoore13

I had 1 GB devoted to Ubtuntu also and I was using the same iso. Anyone else with any help please? Brent, could you post exactly what you did?

6. BrentB

BrentB Member

It's been a little while, and I didn't document the process (since it was working ;P ), so I can't say exactly step-by-step, but I'll try.

Created VM with 8GB "expanding" HDD, 1GB ram, "Other 2.6 linux kernel".

Started VM, inserted DVD. Might've had to reboot to get the boot to take.

Booted to the Ubuntu bootloader screen. Selected the LiveDVD environment (NOT install!)

Live environment started.

Resolution may have been 1024x768 or 800x600 at this point. (I fixed this later on)

Verified the LiveDVD environment worked by starting up a browser, playing around a bit, starting a terminal and sshing to one of my other machines, etc...

On the desktop was a launcher to install to the HDD. I don't remember the exact text, but it was pretty self-explanatory. Ran that.

Followed the instructions, pointed it at the virtual HDD, and let it do its thing. Pretty much just took defaults the whole way (installs can always be done with apt afterwards).

Once I was rebooted into the "installed" Ubuntu instance, editted /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add 1280x800. Also enabled XDMCP in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (but you don't need to do that unless you want to forward a full X session to the host)

Shut down the VM.

Added 1280x800 to the custom resolutions in the VM settings.

Restarted the VM, came up in 1280x800.

Started X11.app, ran Xnest :1 -geometry 1024x768 -query [ipaddress of VM] to test XDMCP.

Eventually, I shut the VM down, and changed it to run on 512MB rather than 1GB of ram, to make room for other VMs.

You can find my modified xorg.conf and gdm.conf at http://brent.bourgoine.net/stuff/parallels/ubuntu/

Hope that helps!

7. georgemoore13

Thanks so much for the response. That is exactly what I have tried several times, yet I am booting of the Iso image file, not the DVD. I don't see why it would make a differnce, but maybe I will try to burn it to a cd. I'll post back.

Thank s a ton for your responses brent.

8. georgemoore13

ok, so I have tried everything. Nothing works. I have tried the live DVD, the live cd. Installing from the Live cd/dvd, installing before the live cd/dvd. Nothing works at all. Here are the settings I am using

5 GB Virtual HD
    1GB RAm
    Booting to CD-ROM/HD/Floppy

Please, can someone help me. I have tried 2 other distros, SUSE and FC5. SUSE wont install because it says it is missing the software, and FC5 installs without errors but won't run from the virtual HD.
    grrr, why does life hate me?

Is there anyone who can solve these problems?

9. theYipster

theYipster Bit poster

I had the same problem on my MacBook Pro with 2 gigabytes of RAM.

There seems to be an issue concerning Ubuntu and/or parallels and how much RAM you give to the Ubuntu virtual machine. It looks like this problem may not effect everyone, but most people reporting installation problems with ubuntu over parallels seem to experience it.

Reducing the RAM allocated to the Ubuntu virtual machine to 512MB should fix the problem. If that doesn't work, try 256MB. I'm not sure why this problem exists, but it does seem to be a common issue, and hopefully parallels will have a solution out soon. Anyway, reducing the allocated RAM should get you past the Hardware detection and allow you to install.

I installed off a mounted (not burned) i386-desktop-live cd. When running the VM at 1024M or above, I'd get the stall at hardware detection, plus the power message on the live desktop, and the installer would hang at 15%. Reducing the RAM fixed everything.

Once installed, I tried boosting the RAM back up to 1024M, but got the same hardware detection stall, and the os wouldn't boot. Once or twice, I've had success with 1000M, but most times it would stall or would boot w/o a working network connection (no idea why...) Fortunately, 512M always works for me. Again, I'm not sure why this is, and hopefully Parallels will have a patch out soon that fixes this and any other problems with Ubuntu, but until then reduce the ram and hopefully things will light up.

Best of luck,

Mark.

10. georgemoore13

Thanks a ton. That worked like a charm. I looked all over Ubuntu documentation and could find any help. Thank you so much for that work around. Luckily Ubuntu should run fairly well with that amount of RAM.

11. BrentB

BrentB Member

Nice find! Although it's quite odd that I didn't see it, as I'm 100% certain I installed at 1024M. Maybe the moon was aligned just right that evening ;P

12. Paul Annesley

Paul Annesley Junior Member