Suspending with Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by elan, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Rob.S

Rob.S Bit poster

I’d also like this option. Even an unsupported hack would be better than nothing!

2. pbutterworth

pbutterworth Member

Another vote for this. The vast majority of the my usage is in Parallels, but I need boot camp for the odd speciic session

regards
    Paul

3. vioccc

vioccc Member

Count me in as well. I originally used Parallels with a Bootcamp partition but moved to a VM file because having to shutdown Windows everytime was too much of a pain. I very rarely needed to boot into Bootcamp but it'd still be nice to have the option to. It looks like you guys at Parallels have spent a lot of effort implementing Bootcamp partition support but that ultimately users do not use this feature because it's too much of a pain not being able to suspend the VM when using a bootcamp partition.

I'm a grown up boy and can remember to shut down Windows first in Parallels if I ever need to boot natively into Windows via Bootcamp.

4. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

Ditto the feature request. I'd love to be able to suspend my bootcamp partition. I do also, sometimes boot directly from it.

So here's an idea for a solution:

When you suspend a bootcamp partition, mark the partition as READ ONLY and NOT BOOTABLE. That way, you can still copy files off it to the Mac OS while suspended, but no changes can be made. And you are prevented from booting the partition natively when you turn the computer on.

When parallels re-loads it sees a bootcamp partition that is NOT BOOTABLE and READ ONLY, and also sees a file there describing its previous state (memory, etc), so it can reload it, reconfigure the partition, and viola!

A suspend method that is compatible with boot camp!

:)

5. anchorboi

anchorboi Bit poster

That actually sounds like an ideal solution, if it is feasible.