Imported boot camp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Alex_K, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Bit poster

Does anyone know if once you have imported your boot camp, can you delete the partition from your hard drive? The main reason why I'm asking is because I would like to free up the extra hard drive space if possible.

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Afaik no - Parallels is using the boot camp drive as its hard drive, so if you delete the Windows partition, your VM will have no hard drive.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I don't think you read the question correctly, he referred to imported bootcamp, once you import bootcamp into a virtual machine (this is different from running a virtual machine using a bootcamp partition) they become to independent machines, and yes you can remove the original bootcamp and start using the imported bootcamp vm only. The key word here is import.

So the answer to the original question is yes, after you make sure the new VM is running smoothly and if the user is referring to page 36, "Import Windows and Your Data from Boot Camp into Parallels Desktop" of the User Guide: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v7/update2/docs/en/Parallels Desktop User's Guide.pdf

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Ah - I stand corrected :) Does the Windows "copy" then require renewed activation (after all, the Parallels "hardware" environment is sufficiently different from a native BootCamp environment)?

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It doesn't, if it was already reactivated under Parallels before, you can only import bootcamp after you have a a VM running on a bootcamp partition, so this is basically a sort of vm cloning.

In terms of hardware change there isn't any as it was already a Parallels vm before being imported.

6. danseely

danseely Bit poster

Boot Camp import troubleshooting

Has anyone ever seen issues where a Boot Camp imported VM doesn't work? I've followed the instructions in the manual, and when I try to boot the newly created VM, it says "Unable to connect to Hard Drive 1", then "There is no operating system installed on this virtual machine". The Boot Camp partition still boots natively just fine, and it still boots inside PD just fine. But the new "imported" VM won't work.

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

If you import the Boot Camp partition to VM (not use Boot Camp but IMPORT) you can remove your Boot Camp partition at all.

Make sure VM starts fine - if it doesn't - it means migration was not successful - run over the migration again.

8. Jonathan84

Jonathan84 Bit poster

Error: Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.

"A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

-I'm also having this issue, I followed the simple instructions. Any Ideas?

9. juzci

juzci Guest

Jonathan84,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna