Help, Please! "Virtual hard disk image not found"???

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jamiear, May 6, 2007.

1. jamiear

jamiear Bit poster

Hello,

If someone could help me, I would very much appreciate it.

I run Micrsoft XP on Parallels for Mac. I downloaded the newest version of Parallels last week, but only got around to installing the new tools this morning. I was asked to restart the computer when the tools finished installing. Now, when I try to start Windows again, I get a message that says "Virtual Machine cannot be started because of the following problem: THe virutal Hard Dish 1 image file [gives file location here] could not be found."

I saw some other threads that look like they might apply to this or a similar issue, but I cannot even start in safe mode--it won't start at all. I would call Parallels and pay for help, but they are closed today, and I need to get into my computer for something for work which I need tomorrow--so I am completely freaking out! Help anyone?

Thank you!

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Is the .hdd file in the location it's asking about? If not, and you can find the file, you can either move it, or change the location where it's being looked for.

If there is no .hdd file on your disk, the virtual hard disk is missing, and you will have to start over. I haven't seen Parallels delete an .hdd file, so something else is going on if it's missing.

Good luck.