backing up files in parallels windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jcberaud@hotmail.com, May 7, 2007.

1. jcberaud@hotmail.com

jcberaud@hotmail.com Bit poster

Hello there.

I am rather new with parallels and encountered only a few problems, which have been resolved thanks to this forum.
    I am still using the 1970 version as it all works fine and do not wanna take the risk to encounter more problems if I upgrade it to the latest version. I am running the VM on my Imac.

I need to back up my work when i am in parallels / window XP on an external hard drive. I know there has been some problems with the use of USB and I am a bit worried that the back up on an other hard drive might not work.

So before I buy one, has anybody been backing up their work, and have you had any problems with this?

Any tips anybody, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lew

Lew Member

When I back up data from within the VM, I back up to my shared folder. Then, whenever I back up my Mac to an external hard drive, that data is backed up also.

I use the Win XP backup utility. When setting up a destination for your backup, I don't see why you couldn't set an external hard drive as the destination for your backup.

BTW, I keep all of my data files in my shared folder so that any problems with my VM will not affect those files. All Excel, Word, RoboForm, QuickBooks, etc. data files are in my shared folder. The only files I need to back up from within Windows are some Outlook files and a few other miscellaneous files.

Lew

3. jcberaud@hotmail.com

jcberaud@hotmail.com Bit poster

thanks for that lew, much appreciated.

JC