Bonjour assistance needed.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sam4022, Mar 9, 2007.

1. sam4022

sam4022 Junior Member

I am new to the Mac and I've been having a not so good time since installing Parallels several days ago. I finally got the correct connection setup to access the Internet but I have been having a horrible time trying to print.

I installed Bonjour but all I have is an icon (Bonjour Printer Wizard) sitting on my windows desktop that seems to tell me everything is OK.....but I still cannot print. My printer appears as shared (HP LaserJet 2100 Series PCL6) and works fine on the Mac side and appears the same on the VM side but it will not print. I know I'm missing something but I don't know exactly what. Please help...thanks.

2. pan

pan Junior Member

Not to state the obvious but have you installed your printer drivers in the VM. I know in my case the drivers for my Epson 4800 had to be installed before I could print.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Hace you double-clicked on the Bonjour Printer Wizard and followed the instructions?

4. sam4022

sam4022 Junior Member

Yes, I also uninstalled, reinstalled and reran Bonjour Print Wizard....nothing.
    Bonjour shows printer as "HP LaserJet 2100 Series@Sam Smith's Computer".
    Selected it & clicked "Next".
    Bomjour selected "HP LaserJet 2100 Series PS"
    Clicked "Finish"
    Tried to print a test page - nothing
    Ran "Troubleshooter"
    Tried to print from Notepad - nothing
    Tried to print from Word - nothing
    Tried to print from Command prompt - nothing
    Turned printer off / on and retried printing - nothing

Also in Mac under Print & Fax printer shows as "HP laserJet2100 Series" and is shared.
    On the VM Printer & Faxes the printer shows as "HP LaserJet 2100 Series PCL6"

Almost about to give up.....any suggestions appreciated....thanks.

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

I had to try many different things before I finally got printing to work using 1970 (now using 3188) with a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo and an HP LaserJet 4050N. I wish I could tell you the one thing that finally did it but I tried so many I really never knew what it was.

I assume you have done the following?

1) In Parallels>Configuration Editor>Network Adapter, check "Shared networking." If you are using 1970, make sure to save changes.
    2) In Mac System Preferences>Sharing>Services, check Printer Sharing and make sure it is turned on.
    3) Restart Mac OS after making above changes. Maybe use Yasu to clear caches (not sure if this makes any difference though).

David

6. David5000

David5000 Pro

If Test Page doesn't print, no need to try the others (just wastes time).

David

7. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I would recommend the following:

Uninstall the printer drivers from Windows.

Make sure the printer drivers are working properly when you print under OSX. If you have to reinstall the drivers in OSX, reboot.

Reboot the VM. Run the printer wizard and select the generic postscript driver.

==============

As an alternative, you might try the instructions on page 187 of the Users Manual.

8. sam4022

sam4022 Junior Member

Uninstalling the HP drivers, running Print Wizard and selecting the generic postscipt worked. Thank you very much, now if you have a good stock that would help even more.

Thanks also to the other folks who replied.

9. David5000

David5000 Pro

10. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

David5000,
    I agree that the Bonjour Print Wizard may find a specific driver for your printer. I have an HP7310 and Bonjour found the specific driver so I did not have to use the generic postscript driver.

However, this seems to work only if you have not tried to install drivers on XP, and just use whatever is already there. When I tried to use the XP Driver install CD from HP, it just gummed up the OSX drivers so they didn't work either.

11. crazibri

crazibri Member

My HP Photosmart 7760 had the same problem. I didnt connect it to the VM as a USB device, but I have it shared on the network in OSX. I installed Bonjour in XP, it found the printer but when I installed the drivers and selected that driver in Bonjour it wouldnt print at all, test page wouldnt print either. I found that by reinstalling the printer in Bonjour w/ the Generic PostScript printer driver, it worked perfectly. Pretty odd if you ask me. I even tried Shared Network and Bridged Network, no effect on the issue.

If I link the printer to the VM as a USB device, it works fine as I would normally expect in XP w/ the HP Drivers.

12. lilysunshine

lilysunshine Bit poster

May I ask how you connected your printer as a USB device? I am having problems with my HP printer as well.

13. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Try create a CUPS printer with RAW driver on the OS/X side and access it from Windows using Bonjour with native printer driver. I was able to get it working with Epson R800 and a few members were able to make it work with Epson R2400. Step-by-step procedure was posted in another thread (http://forums.parallels.com/thread9900.html). In principle, it should work with HP printer if you replace the Epson driver with HP driver on the Windows side. It is worth a try.

14. txaggie

txaggie Bit poster

bonjour problems too

See my post under txaggie put on today. Bonjour sees then deletes my printers.
    AlosoLinux no longer works. I have a friend who has had the same xp print and linux issues.

15. javester

javester Junior Member

Try this step-by-step

Here's a pretty bullet-proof step-by-step. Hope it helps:

ON OS X

1. Setup your printer in OS X

2. Enable Printer Sharing:
    • Open System Preferences
    • Open "Print & Fax"
    • Click on "Sharing" tab
    • Click "Share these printers with other computers". Make sure the printer you want to share is checked.

3. Enable Printer Sharing on the Firewall:
    • Open System Preferences
    • Open "Sharing"
    • Click on the "Firewall" tab
    • Make sure the "Printer Sharing" checkbox is checked

ON WINDOWS

4. Install Bonjour for Windows
    • Start "Bonjour Printer Wizard" and select your printer
    • You're done! There is NO NEED to install a printer driver on Windows. Bonjour Printer Sharing uses Postscript automatically to create high-fidelity printouts on the Mac side. If you must specify a printer driver on the Windows side, just select the Generic Postscript Driver or any other Postscript-based printer driver that has a similar feature set.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
    • Make sure Bonjour is allowed thru the Windows Firewall (see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301514)

16. Jazz

Jazz Bit poster

I am in the same boat - new to Mac after years with Billy G

I have an HP Laserjet 3055 - that I managed to load into virtual windows -- the settings are all the same as in my PC laptop - but it it will not print in the virtual windows

however - it prints perfectly on the Mac side

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  17. dkossman

dkossman Junior Member

did you ever get this to work? I think i may have the same or similar issue - bonjour sees my 3 remote shared printers (they are attached to another mac) but then after a few seconds they all disappear...

these 3 printers all work fine from both macs.