USB 2.0 Support Not Actually "Full Speed"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by DotNetGuy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

I don't mean to pick nits, because I'm very happy that USB 2.0 support has been added, but calling it full speed is disingenuous.

Take a USB flash drive that works for ReadyBoost in Vista (like the Apacer Handy Steno). Install a Vista VM. Attach the flash drive to the VM, and tell it to use ReadyBoost. It says "nuh uh".

Bummer... I was hoping to be able to use Vista from a VM and help to compensate for the lost RAM with ReadyBoost. Oh well. :)

2. akac

akac Hunter

That's probably more due to the lack of Vista Ready drivers than USB implementation...

3. msvista

msvista Member

Yes, its not the speed that actually windows uses. Not sure if its Mac issue or Parallels.

Today I also tried ReadyBoost, and it does not work on Mac Parallels 3188 running Vista Ultimate.

More info, check:
    http://venublog.com/?p=163

It will be nice if Parallels can add the support..I will wait for the day

4. wesley

wesley Pro

Actually, you mean USB 2.0 'High Speed' (=480Mbps). USB 2.0 'Full Speed' is the same thing as USB 1.1 'Full Speed' (=12Mbps). Apparently, devices inside Parallels VM is SEEN as a 'Full Speed' one even if it's actually 'High Speed', but then the REAL transfer rate is 'High Speed' in this case. Vista must be balking at the device because it sees the device as the slower 'Full Speed' one.

5. nivenh

nivenh Member

that's the most confusing drop of marketing drivel i've ever seen.

6. msvista

msvista Member