Bridged ethernet not working...FC6 gues, Vista Ultimate Host

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by darfoo, Apr 30, 2007.

1. darfoo

darfoo Bit poster

I am running Parallels workstation 2.2 under Windows Vista Ultimate, and I am using Fedora Core 6 as the guest OS. Everything is working, except bridged networking. I cannot use either DHCP or a manually configured IP address. It does not work either over wired or wireless, and I am really confused. DHCPDISCOVER is being issued, but there is no response as its like the router isn't even listening. I have not put a sniffer on the windows interface to see if the requests are making it out onto the physical network.

Any help would be appreciated,

--Mark T.

2. darfoo

darfoo Bit poster

Some more info...

I connected a wired ethernet cable, and the VM can hit the internet. Apparently its just when it is trying to connect over the wifi that there is an issue.

--Mark T.

3. mark coleman

mark coleman Bit poster

Also having bridged ethernet problems

I am having similiar bridged ethernet problems with Vista Ultimate as the host as well. It simply refuses to get a DHCP address while using the wifi. Is your wireless adapter an Intel 3945ABG? I read a test comparison of Parallels where the author couldn't get this particular wireless adpater to ever work with Parallels. I also have the Cisco Systems VPN client installed on my host as well, so that may have something to do with it.

Maybe one of the Parallels employees here could comment?

Mark

4. JimIdle

JimIdle Bit poster

I have been asking Parallel's "support" about this since April. Basically it doesn't work, and I am not using the Intel card mentioned.

I am afraid I have no more information to offer you, except that it doesn't matter how long you wait for Parallel's support, you won't get an answer. I don't mind using forums so much, however it seems there is little hope here either as I come back once a week to see. So, time for an alternate product I am afraid - I hate wasting money :-(

5. mark coleman

mark coleman Bit poster

Went with the other guys

Unfortunately I couldn't get Parallels to work properly and my trial period expired, so I switched to the VMWare Workstation 6 beta. I haven't had a problem using any VM and have several VM's running with Vista as the host.
    I really liked Parallels because it seemed much more friendly than VMWare, but at the end of the day I had to have something that worked. In the future I may try Parallels again, but my money will be going to the VMWare workstation product after the beta trial is over.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. jensw

jensw Member

I also have parallels running on a Vista Ultimate host. Same problem here with a 2200BG from Intel. The VM isn't able to use DHCP and if I give it a static adress I can't access the router in my wireless network, but I can still ping the vista host.

Best regards,
    Jens