Unable to allocate memory for Monitor PE!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wgdixon, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

And you have 2 GB of RAM? Strange. Anything else that is hogging the memory? Check Activity Monitor.

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Did you get such error with using button Power On / Power Off instead of Suspend/Resume?
    How many times can you run parallels desktop without errors?
    What settings do you have in Parallels Desktop/Preferences/Memory? Could you send me a screen shot?
    Please reboot your mac and when it crashes send to me /var/log/system.log

3. wgdixon

wgdixon Member

I believe I'm just using the green arrow in the toolbar on the right. Same symptoms whether it has been powered off or suspended previously. Sent you the memory prefs via email. I don't have a system.log for you right now because I haven't been able to make Parallels run in order to cause a panic yet :). However, it is up and runnign right now so if it panics again, you'll be the second to know. Aside from the panics, the primary issue I have right now is just getting Parallels to start the VM reliably. *Usually* I can start it the first time after a reboot, provided it hasn't been "too long"...I can't tell you how long "too long" is. I do know that subsequent attempts usually fail. Sometimes it takes "some time", other times it is just the "next time".

4. wgdixon

wgdixon Member

Well, I may have been slightly wrong. After the last reboot (2 days, 1 hour ago), I started up Parallels and the same VM three times successfully today. Each time today it was from a *powered down* VM. In other words, each time I had shut down WinXP then quit Parallels, rather than suspending. I will try this a few more times, then go back to suspending/resuming and see if it freaks out then.

5. wgdixon

wgdixon Member

An update, maybe postive news! Having now been up for 5 days, 9 hours, (following through the last posting) I am *still* able to start the XP VM. Now I am trying it from suspended state, instead of shutting down XP. So far I've done it twice, I think, probably about 1-2 days apart. That is significant progress compared to previous experience. What changed? Well, the only thing I recall changing was updating to the latest Microsoft Office:Mac. Strange, eh? But I run all the office apps all the time almost..Word, Powerpoint, Entourage, Excel, and that usage pattern hasn't changed. Wonder if microsoft was hosing something up in my system or eating memory somehow? Like that never happened....

6. wgdixon

wgdixon Member

Bad news. After several suspend/resume attempts it now appears the Monitor PE problem is back. Worse...I rebooted with the intent of trying several days of power off/on but the first time it tried to come up, I got a kernel panic. Bleh!