Parallels working with 3D graphics?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Bordgious, May 7, 2007.

1. Bordgious

Bordgious Junior Member

I recently posted on Apple's forums (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4526192#4526192)
    asking about running games on Parallels
    Will this problem be fixed or is it fixed (the person I heard from had an older version of Parallels) already?
    Thanks

[From Apple Forum]

[My Post]
    have been informed that using games on Parallels currently is impossible because the graphics will not transfer to the virtual Windows machine. Is this an OSx problem or a parallels problem? Also, will it be fixed with Tiger, or is it a Parallels problem I should but them about? Thanks.

[Apple Response]
    You've been misinformed. Most all Windows games will work in Parallels. However, Parallels does not implement hardware 3D graphic acceleration as yet so games requiring very high frame rates don't play as well. It's not a Mac problem, it's a problem associated with virtualization.

Note that for help with and information about Parallels visit their web stie or forum (http://forum.parallels.com/.) The Apple forums do not provide support for non-Apple products.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

3D graphics is unavailable at this stage, so games requiring 3D graphics don't run at all. Reported to be available in version 3.0 due later this year.

So it may help in the future, most, if not all forums, come with a search feature, which would have provided an answer for you in this case.

3. Bordgious

Bordgious Junior Member

Have you released the date that version 3.0 will be available? And also, if I buy the current version of Parallels, I will be able to upgrade to 3.0 (using Mac OSx Tiger) later, correct? Thanks.

4. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

No, there's no release date for Parallels 3.0 yet.

Parallels also said even their current customers will pay a fee to upgrade to 3.0.

5. Bordgious

Bordgious Junior Member

But it will be upgradeable (somewhat easily) and able to work with Tiger, correct?

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Nobody knows - it doesn't exist as a product. However - it would be a disastrous business decision if the current version were a dead end and locked users out of upgrading. I have faith in the open and free market compelling them to provide an upgrade path to the next version and I expect to pay for it. They may choose to discount it to existing customers as a matter of building customer loyalty. Or they may not.

7. Christopher

Christopher Parallels Team

Of course it will be upgradeable. At this moment we are working on OpenGL 1.5 and DirectX 9 support.

8. Geesu

Geesu Member

Any ETA on when this will be released?

And perhaps sooner - any possibility you can have the option to let a window control the mouse - some games (like HL1) have software rendering, but it's unable to play them because parallels prevents the game from controlling the mouse pointer.

Josh

9. rhind

rhind Member

Glad to here OpenGL support will be included. I've recently been working on scientific apps that use OpenGL for 3D visualisation, and while they run usably in parallels (we aren't pushing 3D limits), acceleration would be most welcome (as the rumors are that VMWare are only looking Direct X support.

Cheers

Russell

10. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

Ditto here. Very glad to hear about the OpenGL support. :)

11. Bordgious

Bordgious Junior Member

These updates will allow you to take full advantage of the graphics support in your Mac, correct?

12. ehurtley

ehurtley Member

Just a quite note, it's probably easier for them to implement OpenGL than DirectX because OS X natively supports OpenGL at a very low level. This means that for OpenGL applications in the guest OS, they can basically just pass through the OpenGL commands. (I know, it's not really that simple, but it's simple compared to DirectX, where their guest OS driver will have to 'translate' DirectX into OpenGL.)