Help with RDP to Parallels Windows XP Session

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by maestro7879, May 10, 2007.

1. maestro7879

maestro7879 Bit poster

How can I connect to my Parallels Windows XP Session via RDP ?
    I will be using a Windows XP machine as a client.

My config is like this.
    This is all using port 3389.

external IP 71.xxx.xxx.xxx
    DNS - 151.xxx.xxx.xxx , 199.xxx.xxx.xxx

the above external IP is forwarded via router to

What do I have to configure on the mac/parallels end to make this work ?

2. nomadichermit

nomadichermit Junior Member

As far as I know, windows XP doesn't have capability for Windows Terminal Server. You'll need to install a server version, such as 2003 for that. However, you can use VNC and perhaps other solutions. RDP is quite superior to VNC but VNC works okay.

If you really wan to play with RDP you can download windows longhorn beta. I don't have the link handy.

See ya,
    /Chris

3. vinneh

vinneh Member

win xp supports rdp but it will log out the console user if you login remotely.
    you should be able to access the machine if you set up a host only networking using osx internal firewall to port foward to your virtual machine. it should also work in bridge mode if parallels presents itself to osx as just an application listening on that port.

4. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

I do this all the time, both from other machines on my network and externally. First of all, you need to be running XP Pro. I don't believe that the Home edition supports inbound RDP. You'll also want to configure your VM for bridged networking. Since you're port-forwarding, it's best to assign a static IP to XP.

5. maestro7879

maestro7879 Bit poster

Thanks that worked.