Ready Boost

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by mkagan, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mkagan

mkagan Bit poster

With more and more people using Vista I think it would be pretty cool if in the config of a Parallels virtual machine it was possible to set up a virtual USB drive out of RAM space to be used by Vista's ready boost. This should considerably improve performance of Vista running in a vm on systems with RAM to spare.

Example:
    VM Config: Ready Boost Drive size: 256mb (use Mac System RAM) - user configurable

2. cjp767

cjp767 Bit poster

Yes - Readyboost would be a nice way to speed things up. I think the lastest versions of Parallels include USB2 support. Does any one know if Parallels support of USB2 is fast enough to handle Readyboost?

The Parallels programmers might need to do their magic to allow Readyboost to be enabled.

3. viola

viola Hunter

While this is a great idea, we really need to see some of the user interface/usability enhancements and refinements more than anything right now. I wish that we could get Windows apps truly integrated into the total experience such as the keybindings and a better Coherence where the apps push into the realm of the Mac Menubar and we see Parallels more as a system service rather than an application.

Good idea, just trying to urge that perhaps we all start pushing for a tighter integration before we see all of these other awesome bells and whistles implemented.

4. Jisi

Jisi Member

Ahh hmm you do realize that it would be better to just gove your VM 256mb more RAM instead? I suppose the more free RAM the more gets used as cache (by the FS or block drivers for HD). This should give more performance than going through x extra layers of emulation to reach an emulated "USB stick" in RAM

5. msvista

msvista Member

Yes, I tried this today, and ReadyBoost does not work on Mac Parallels 3188 running Vista Ultimate.

More info, check:
    http://venublog.com/?p=163

6. msvista

msvista Member

7. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

This is a very useful link, thanks. Does anyone know of an equivalent article for XP? Of course there is tons of info out there on tuning XP, but I haven't found one that was specific for running it on a VM