Tweak Vista to run faster in Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by newf709, Apr 14, 2007.

1. newf709

newf709 Junior Member

Hi all.........was wondering if any of you have tips on tweaking Vista to run faster in Parallels.

Thanks

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

turn off all unecessary services and turn all the eye candy off. Set the display properties for best performance, rather then best appearance... thats a start....

3. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

4. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

There are a number of tricks for speeding up Vista, but ultimately I'm convinced that Parallels is not ready for Vista as of yet. I've done a lot of the tweaks for Vista, but have yet to get rid of stuttering audio and video files. When an operating system of this complexity (Vista Ultimate) can't play back simple mp3 files properly, there has to be a problem with Parallels not handling Vista properly. I've allocated plenty of RAM on a pristine running MacBook Pro 3.22 GHz. I've defragmented and cleared out files in Vista and performed Vista tests about my install. All looks good except for the fact that all my system requirements are labeled as POOR. That's nuts. If my MacBook Pro doesn't meet the requirements of running Vista properly, then I pity those that have older machines. This inadequate system requirements problem has to be the way Vista is interfacing with Parallels.

Here's a site that gives tips on speeding up Vista, but there are many more if you google a phrase such as Vista Tuneup:
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/windows-vista/108127-johns-quick-vista-tuneup-guide.html

5. davez

davez Bit poster

You have a 3.22GHz MacBook Pro?:confused: Wow, Where did you get that? Apple only sells a 2.33GHz MacBook Pro.:rolleyes:

I know you meant 2.33GHz. Just having a little fun with you.;)

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

as i mentioned in your other thread. the audio problems are a well known issue with the audio driver in Tools.

7. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

No. I actually overclocked the MBP. That part was easy. It was fitting the water cooling pump and radiator that was difficult.

Okay, so I'm having a little fun with you. I guess my fingers just got tongue-tied while typing. :)

8. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Back to XP ...

The resource requirements for Vista are just to onerous. I've gone back to my backed up copy of my XP VM and Windows performance is acceptable again.

Perhaps one day Parallels will support ReadyBoost USB drives and the main performance problem which is lack of memory causing too much paging (my MBP can only support 2GB), or when a future MBP can support address 4GB then I'll go back and give Vista a whirl.

I would be interested in anyone's experience running a Vista VM on a MBP with 3GB or a iMac or MacPro with 3GB or more of memory.

Please hold the "I told you sos" ;)

9. msvista

msvista Member

Yes, I tried this today, and ReadyBoost does not work on Mac Parallels 3188 running Vista Ultimate.

More info, check:
    http://venublog.com/?p=163

It will be nice if Parallels can add the support..I will wait for the day

10. msvista

msvista Member