Which is best 3186 or 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Robster, May 11, 2007.

1. Robster

Robster Hunter

I have 3188 installed and working but have not had cause to use Parallels for a few weeks, during which time my MacBook Pro has been rock solid.

Fired up Parallels the other day and within 24 hours I had it freeze or crash on both occasions.

Should I go back to 3186 and if so where do I get it from?

Is there ANY sign of a new version???????

Robin

2. jbh001

jbh001 Member

The difference between 3186 and 3188 is some bug fixes for Windows 98.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=51200#post51200

I'm not expecting a new version before WWDC; it's less than one month away. Although it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

One problem some have had is forgetting to reboot after upgrading. For some reason, Parallels is a little bit picky about this. Therefore, when you upgrade to a newer build:
    1. Install the Parallels upgrade.
    2. Reboot your Mac not just the VM.
    3. Reinstall Parallels Tools on your VM(s).

Note: Backing up your VMs before doing this is always a good idea.

If you don't do this, you might corrupt your VMs, introduce networking glitches to your VM or other instabilities.

To fix them, try:
    1. The fix above.
    2. Completely removing Parallels > reboot Mac > reinstall Parallels > reboot Mac > install Parallels Tools.
    3. Same as #2 except use a backup copy of your VM (your original may have been corrupted).
    4. Same as #2 except use a previous build of Parallels.
    5. Same as #2 except do a clean install of the VM from scratch (yes this means you lose the data in your VM).
    6. Same as #2 plus #4 and #5.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  3. Robster

Robster Hunter

So maybe the question should have been which is the most stable version of Parallels to use because it is not 3188.

Robin

4. msvista

msvista Member