Recommended Backup Solutions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by timrease, Mar 3, 2007.

1. warnergt

warnergt Member

How do I clone a NTFS Bootcamp disk?

I would like to clone my Windows XP Pro NTFS Bootcamp disk. How can I do that?
    SuperDuper doesn't recognize it.
    Synchronize! Pro X appeared to clone it but I can't boot from the clone.
    Acronis True Image 9 would not clone it. It complained that it was a virtual drive (or something like that).

I would like to be able to create a clone such that, if my original disk crashes, I can simply swap disks and be up and running again.

2. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

3. dkossman

dkossman Junior Member

The suggestion above, to use a "local" folder on my virtual "C:" drive for the Quicken data files, solved the problem in the sense that the "backup" function now works. However, this means that my nightly "superduper" backup doesn't back up my Quicken data files - i have to manually back them up from inside the Windows XP VM to the shared volume. Not ideal, but a step forward!

Now my next (and hopefully last) problem is that from inside the WinXP VM, i can't *print* to an HP Laserjet that is shared from my other Mac... there seem to be a bunch of postings regarding this, and I've submitted a question to tech support, so hopefully i'll be able to solve this one too!

thanks for the help, everyone.

- Don

4. David5000

David5000 Pro

Even allowing for the difference between Quicken and QuickBooks, I don't totally understand.

I also have my QuickBooks data files in a folder on my VM's C: drive, but QB lets me back them up to a Parallels Shared Folder. This means that when I make a SuperDuper clone of my Mac hard drive, the QB backups are included. My QB data files, which are in the VM image, are also being backed up by SD. Isn't this what is happening to you?

I am surprised that no other Quicken for Windows user has responded to you--maybe you are better off asking in a Quicken forum if there are any Parallels users with the same problem.

David

5. dkossman

dkossman Junior Member

I think I'm now pretty much in the same mode that you are - I can back up my quicken data to a Parallels shared folder, which does get backed up nightly. I am not doing so now, but could (guess i should!) schedule a nightly backup of my WinXP virtual machine image, which would include the data files on the virtual C: drive.

thanks

6. David5000

David5000 Pro

Why a special backup of the VM image? Isn't your entire VM image (including the data files on the virtual C: drive) getting backed up in your nightly SuperDuper clone?

David

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

You might look at the thread "Quicken 2005" <http://forum.parallels.com/thread11423.html>. Apparently Purplish is an experienced Quicken user who may have some answers for you.

David

8. msvista

msvista Member

iBackup works like a charm..so that u can customize to backup system, application and user settings along with whaver the application. The good thing is I dont need whole system apps..just settings and some aps...it works perfect and its free solution

http://venublog.com/?p=166