Windows XP won't recognize USB drives

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rsfishman, Apr 22, 2007.

1. rsfishman

rsfishman Bit poster

Moved from "How to"

I just got the iMac and installed Parallels and Windows XP. When I plug in a USB external hard drive or flash drive, it appears on the Mac desktop but can't be accessed by Windows. On the Parallels bar at the top, under Devices ==> USB, it shows these two drives, as well as IR Receiver, Apple Wireless and Built-in iSight. None have check marks. When I click on the hard drive or flash drive, I get a message saying "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually".

But there is no application blocking the device, since they are not being used, and I have no applications running in Mac. How do I fix this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  2. wisecraker

wisecraker Bit poster

I'm having similar trouble. I'm having trouble getting my mac book pro to print with my Paralles program. I have a HP office jet 4300 and I installed all the software into the windows xp, did the set up in the set up assistant. The printer shows in the properties as a selectable item to choose. I choose it to print and nothing prints. I have my usb connected and now my printer que is full of stuff but it wont print. Help! Apple care will not answer any questions because it's not a mac program technically.

3. soundzen

soundzen Junior Member

<<USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually>>

same warning with my mac under XP... i need to enter inside my USB pen to transfer files like autocad in order to work with my mac (since it only works under XP) and thats why ive installed parallels in the first place!

argghh, what a frustration not to be able to access my USB device, even after selecting "enabled" and auto recognition in the settings menu...

it seems we are 3 now posting here with same problems and no help doing the FAQ procedings step-by-step because it still doesnt work!

help, guys... PLEASE!!! :(

4. mjn38

mjn38 Bit poster

I had the same problem. I downloaded an update and the problem was fixed. Make sure you have the most recent update.

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

just use the devices menu to make them networked / shared folders

then they are mounted on the mac desktop and useable in Win XP too

please search the boards for my detailed "how to" description
    I am just closing down soon

Hugh W

6. drval

drval Pro

You COULD use the search function of this forum and find a number of prior threads where this has been addressed...

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

if you have not got it sorted yet
    on the Mac side

menu parallels desktop >> Devices >> shared Folders >> Add...

just browse and add the mac desktop
    the macintosh hard disk
    and any USB or Firewire disks

I have 10
    some are duplicate paths

it is good practice to keep all data in Mac Folders to keep the WinXP image smaller
    and if you mess up an image
    your data is safe

Hugh W

8. ronp51

ronp51 Junior Member

Just click on devices at top of screen and scroll down to usb and click the device you want to use. Than the usb will be recognized with that device. This is how I got my printer to work with parallels to work.:)

Last edited: May 14, 2007